• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gingerman Test and Tune: "no 1st time drivers"

SoundQ SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
While looking at the rules on Gingerman's website, I noticed the following rule about the Thursday Test and Tune sessions:

"Previous track driving experience is required."

I read this to mean no first timers allowed, which to me defeats some of the purpose of going to the track with this particular group since we would/could have several first timers.

Perhaps this is why they were getting upset with our group 2 years ago when we showed up to use the test and tune as a newb track experience for several people?

You still can at the open track.(i think) Just not the test and tune.

SoundQ, Will I be aloud to drive at the test and tune, or no? I did drive at last years open track with an instructor and from what I heard, and was told, I did very well. Mark is not requiring that I have an instructor this year, though I may ask for one in the beginning.

I will bring the the same attitude and discipline as I brought to the track previously. My car though should be in much better condition

If you look at posts 122 - 129 in this thread, there is a brief discussion as to why Mark is planning to attend the Test & Tune time at Gingerman rather than rent the track for the day.

Make no mistake, this is "Test & Tune" time at the track, open to anyone with previous on-track experience up to and including real race cars that are trying to actually work on their cars while we are there for personal enjoyment and a little bit of spirited High Performance Driving. Two years ago, there were actually a few club racers there trying to work that evening.

We will have to follow the track rules and probably won't be able to have our own like we did last year when we rented the facility for the day. Among these rules are "no passengers" unless the track approves ahead of time.

Awesome. Looks like we're headed to Wal Mart for cones to set up in a parking lot, like in '05. :laugh:

:p

Awesome. Looks like we're headed to Wal Mart for cones to set up in a parking lot, like in '05. :laugh:

:p

Im not sure what i think of that. :shrug: :help: :rolleyes:

If you look at posts 122 - 129 in this thread, there is a brief discussion as to why Mark is planning to attend the Test & Tune time at Gingerman rather than rent the track for the day.

Make no mistake, this is "Test & Tune" time at the track, open to anyone with previous on-track experience up to and including real race cars that are trying to actually work on their cars while we are there for personal enjoyment and a little bit of spirited High Performance Driving. Two years ago, there were actually a few club racers there trying to work that evening.

We will have to follow the track rules and probably won't be able to have our own like we did last year when we rented the facility for the day. Among these rules are "no passengers" unless the track approves ahead of time.

So will i be aloud on the track or no?

The no first timers at this kind of thing probably isn't all that uncommon. They probably want you to attend a track session with an instructor first.

I'm sure we can figure something out.

I'm already working on addressing this. This is a new policy for 09 that wasn't expected when planning started.

-Mark

I'm not sure how they determine "experience". If it says no "1st timers" and you've driven 1 other event then I'd say you pass, end of discussion.

Did anyone see that the track was expanding? I think they added about 950' to the back straight and banked the turn coming onto it - HUGE SPEED!!

I'm going to stop by later this week and check it out. Construction was supposed to start last fall.
Here's a pic. from one of the local boards...

Attachments

• Gingerman Track Changes 2009.jpg
    Gingerman Track Changes 2009.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure how they determine "experience". If it says no "1st timers" and you've driven 1 other event then I'd say you pass, end of discussion.

Did anyone see that the track was expanding? I think they added about 950' to the back straight and banked the turn coming onto it - HUGE SPEED!!

I'm going to stop by later this week and check it out. Construction was supposed to start last fall.

what are some of the local forums? PM me for when you plan on heading out maybe ill tag along to check it out. I live in Kzoo currently(college is at WMU)

That looks like more fun!:drool:

Looks like im going to need more then good suspension to have fun on this track. My brakes are going to melt away...

Initial experience should come from HPDE's with an instructor or classroom, or both. These can be run by car groups (like we had last year at Waterford Hills) or by independent organizations like NASA. There are many opportunities to attend an HPDE, and in some cases you don't even have to have the same make of car as the club to participate.

The "Test and Tune" is not an HPDE, but rather an opportunity for experienced drivers to work on their equipment or their skills, or both. This is why it is not intended for drivers with no on-track experience.

Back