• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing 2016

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
So I know there have been talks about Tennessee, but I don't recall anyone stepping up to host the event. I would be more than happy to host next years event in Sarasota if people would be interested. There's a TON of really cool things to do. From the myakka air boat, to car museums, to iconic restaurants, to the #1 rated beach in the world.... I have a ton of local connections, and can put together one hell of a spring zing if people would be interested

Very nice offer! But I was hoping the next one was driving distance from me, even if it was a 16 hour drive.

No as in meaning what? Nobody has stepped up to host 2016 event? Sounds like an offer from Smalls.

I was kidding. Obviously.

Who even offered to host in TN?

As an enthusiast that enjoys seeing CONTOURs at the meets, I vote for something within the 15 hour driving distance limit for me from 53933

Well it wasn't obvious to everyone ;-) Why not somewhere in the center of the USA - puts this event within reach of the most amount of folks, given the driving distance. The could be Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, etc, etc. Though I do agree Sarasota/Tampa Bay is a very desired area!!

Yup I heard that Yoder was going to host it as well in Nashville. So within 16 hours from 57225 and within 15 hours from 53933 :p

Yes. I have thrown a set of ideas up. Here are some of them:
1. East TN area around Knoxville. Lots of great driving roads and attractions near the Great Smoky Mountains national park. The Dragon. Cherohala Skyway. Moonshiner 28. Fontana Dam. Dollywood. Gatlinburg / Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Townsend. Foothills Parkway. Blue Ridge Parkway. [ICYSVT and TNTechMan also live nearby.]
2. Around Chattanooga TN - similar terrain features. Has lots of Civil War/War Between the States history in the area. Also has Coker Tire / Honest Charlie Speed Shop/ Coker's auto museum. [about 2 hours north of OB1 and Brian Grogan]
3. Nashville area - Lots for the spouses to do. Music venues everywhere. Shopping. History. Some pretty good roads. Could time it to meet when the Nashville Goodguy's meet is in town - Mid-May. Power Block TV show studios are there. The Lane Motor Museum is also there.
4. Land Between the Lakes, KY was another thought. Depending on what the group might consider more enjoyable.

I like the Sarasota / Tampa Bay idea also, but understand the desire to be more central.

Let me know what you all think and we will go from there.

By the way - all of the listed options are within the 15 hours limit set by Joe.

Last edited:
I hear these suggestions and yes, much more central than the south Florida location....but what about the rest of the USA 'Tour population? TN/KY are not exactly central to those owners/aficionado's of the CDW27 platform.

Yeah, I know another south Florida meet isn't really as desirable for you guys up north. As long as someone makes the commitment to host it, it's all I care about. The Tennessee ideas sound great!

My experience (with AMGBA) was to have a Committee of 4~6 members from various host cities work as a Team to make the final selection. Not sure if we have that type of interest/involvement.

I hear these suggestions and yes, much more central than the south Florida location....but what about the rest of the USA 'Tour population? TN/KY are not exactly central to those owners/aficionado's of the CDW27 platform.

I guess that depends on the definition of central. To quote a local tourism website, "the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is within a day'™s drive of nearly two-thirds of the country'™s population? That means that 66% of all Americans can hop in the car and head to the Smokies and be there by sunrise". Obviously that does not include all of us CEGers, but it does include a significant portion of the population.

Assuming that I specify Knoxville, TN, then within Joe's stated limit of 15 hours is Duluth, MN; Minneapolis, MN; Grand Island, NE; Oklahoma City, OK; Fort Worth, TX; Houston,TX; Miami, FL; Key Largo, FL; Sault St. Marie, MI; Ottawah, ON; and Nashua, NH.
If Chattanooga is chosen the central point shifts south by 90 minutes. If Nashville is chosen, then the central point shifts west by 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
I would be up for the Knoxville or Chattanooga ones. I've never been to Chattanooga but love the idea of Knoxville. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge are so close with plenty for the other family members to do and the dragon is close by. .02

Very true on the proximity to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge / GSM national park. Speaking of the Dragon (HWY US129), many of the motorcycle magazines that I read refer to the area between Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Asheville, NC as the "Golden Triangle" of driver roads.

Very true on the proximity to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge / GSM national park. Speaking of the Dragon (HWY US129), many of the motorcycle magazines that I read refer to the area between Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Asheville, NC as the "Golden Triangle" of driver roads.

With me riding motorcycles, I can vouch for it.

I guess that depends on the definition of central. To quote a local tourism website, "the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is within a day’s drive of nearly two-thirds of the country’s population? That means that 66% of all Americans can hop in the car and head to the Smokies and be there by sunrise". Obviously that does not include all of us CEGers, but it does include a significant portion of the population.

Assuming that I specify Knoxville, TN, then within Joe's stated limit of 15 hours is Duluth, MN; Minneapolis, MN; Grand Island, NE; Oklahoma City, OK; Fort Worth, TX; Houston,TX; Miami, FL; Key Largo, FL; Sault St. Marie, MI; Ottawah, ON; and Nashua, NH.
If Chattanooga is chosen the central point shifts south by 90 minutes. If Nashville is chosen, then the central point shifts west by 2.5 hours.

Well since the entire conversation was in reference to geographical areas, I was referring simply to the Central USA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_United_States
Population base is not what I was referring to - do we not have participation in all geographical areas, as evidenced by the Regional Branches listing on CEG?

Back