• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gingerman Track Info (Map & Hot Lap suggestions)

ZenBoy

CEG'er
Thought this might be useful for anyone who hasn't been on Gingerman before.

Map:

gingerman.gif

Hot Lap suggestions (taken from http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/MI/Gingerman.html#HotLap):

Hot Lap

Starting on the front straight, carry speed up the straight as far as possible, but still treat turn 1 as a classic turn. Do not brake any more than necessary. Turn 1 can be taken very fast. There are some bumps in the braking area and at the turn-in point. You may want to straddle them or move in from the track edge for your turn-in.

Accelerate across the turn 1 apex to a mid-track turn-in point midway through turn 2. Brake slightly, turn in and start early acceleration in the increasing radius right hander. The uphill turn will give you more traction than you will expect. Hit a very late apex and continue accelerating hard toward turn 3. Turn 3 is a constant radius, slightly downhill 140 degree right. Do not late brake here. Set up for strong acceleration across a late apex. Be ready for the car to get light as the track drops away leaving turn 3.

Holding flat, ease to the right edge of the track coming out of turn 3. Ease left to the apex of turn 4 and straight to the right track edge approaching turn 5. Do not lift from the turn-in for 3 until you brake for turn 5.

Novices: As you start out, brake hard along the right edge of the track to slow for turn 5. Turn in and gas for a moment and brake again to slow for turn 6. From center of the bumpers on the right edge of the track, turn in and accelerate hard across a late apex on turn 6. You must get well into the bumpers on the inside of turn 6.

Experienced racers: Carry speed on the 3-5 straight almost to an early apex on turn 5. Trail brake around turn 5 to the right edge of the track to the turn-in point for turn 6. Turn in hard and accelerate across a late apex on turn 6. Novice or expert: If you find yourself on the right bumpers coming out of turn 6, move your turn-in a little further into the turn and be absolutely sure you are getting well into that apex.

Turn 7 is a classic late turn-in, late apex turn, but then you keep sweeping to the right hugging the right edge of the track under full acceleration through turn 8. Hold right longer than you think you should and then cut left for a late apex in turn 9. You cannot make up a lot of lap time here, but you can lose a bunch easily. The trick is to go as slow as you have to, to be on the left track edge under complete control coming out of turn 9, to set up for turn 10.

Turn 10 is the most important on the course. The key is early hard acceleration. Move your turn-in/acceleration point back as far as you can. Be hard on the gas from the time you turn in. Use all the track. Hit a medium-late apex and honk down the 10-11 straight.

Turn 11 is another classic turn and the wide smooth track allows lots of speed through it. The Armco at track-out tries to intimidate. Don't let it. Carry lots of speed and use all the track. The front straight is the longest of the course, but uphill and not quite as fast as the back straight between 10-11.

Start another lap. Remember the key is to carry speed as long as possible on the straights. This makes the corners important in this sequence: 10, 11, 3, 5-6, 2, 1, 7, 9, 8. Refine your driving in this order for the fastest improvement in lap times. Good luck. You will have fun!

Last edited:
I must be a chicken because i lift on the 3-5 straight. I recall feeling pretty floating.. might have been some of that downhill experience they mention.

10-11 straight is when you get to do some good brake testing.

I must be a chicken because i lift on the 3-5 straight. I recall feeling pretty floating.. might have been some of that downhill experience they mention.

10-11 straight is when you get to do some good brake testing.

Did you brake late in turn 3?

I'm having a hard time remembering a lot of this from our last SZ meet there.

I don't know how late I braked into 3... i know i was ripping pretty good coming out of that corner though so I had no problem getting back up to speed there.

At first I was braking super early for every corner... 3 was one of my worst until I really tried timing with the braking markers which helped a lot.

I think i was braking at the last or 2nd to last marker pretty much at the end. ABS is your friend (as long as it's not bumpy, in which case the wrx ABS system is an evil evil mistress)

Back