• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my tune

double_u_4

Veteran CEG'er
Well i was finally able to get my tune done today. it does ride a lot better now. shifts so much smoother. it doesnt bogg like it used too. started out with the PCM not having a VIN# to it. so i guessing that was replaced. so he had to get it programmed with a VIN. once he started it he said i was running lean @ idle & rich @ throttle. he ended up having to turn down the fuel about 30% he said. i was able to get everything deleted that need be & all my codes got cleared. he gave me 2 different tunes on the programmer. 1 being just the basic tune i guess & he said he put a fuel saver 1 on to try. said he changed a few things with that 1 to give me a better gas milage.. & he told me that the motor taurus motor i have puts out 155 w/hp. & here are what my #s were. 188 w/hp & 181 w/tq. he said it was on the low side because it being so humid & muggy out today. & that it would be about 203w/hp & 197w/tq if it was better conditions out. so do those #'s seem about right. from what i know the car has full 03' taurus motor, borla main cat & exhaust,gutted precats,short ram intake, & B&M short throw & suspension. he said he did the reading in 3rd gear.
001-6.jpg
tune001.jpg

video. it sounded alot nicer in person.

well his numbers seem low, a stock svt will put down 165-170 generally(there are some higher and lower) so the 3L with the same crank hp and more tq should put down peak number similar or a bit higher bc of the higher tq.

as for your number, considering youre basically stock and thats mustang dyno numbers you're doing good. the only improvment the borla makes over stock is the beyond the rear y pipe remains 2 1/4" vs the shrinking to 2" on the stock svt catback. gutted precats might add a few whp.
if you want more, headers and ypipe, and 2.5" exhaust, at the very least a good ypipe as thats the easiest way to get 8-10 whp/tq.

ya i know i dont have to much to add hp. but i really just wanted the dyno to get the computer set right. getting my numbers was just a bonus i guess. & he set it more for fuel efficiency than power, (i dnt know if that will change the hp thou.) i dont race it so id rather have a better mpg. but have some power if i need it @ some point

Your dyno pulls need to be in 4th gear. That is the closest ratio to 1. I can't remember what it is, 1.06 or something close to that.

Your dyno pulls need to be in 4th gear. That is the closest ratio to 1. I can't remember what it is, 1.06 or something close to that.

Ya thats what i remember reading too that it needed to b 4th gear. He said y he did it in 3rd but i dont remember off hand @ the moment. Ill hav to ask him again.I have to go back up in afew days nhave the vin programmed to the pcm & he said he would add another tune to the programmer if i wasnt happy with thd 1s he put in. Mayb ill hav him add a performance tune just to have it.

your hp numbers are close to mine. I had mine tuned on a mustang dyno and showed 184whp and 207wtq when it was 110 degrees outside. I was told that other SVT contours that have been on that dyno dont make much over 100whp. I want to see what a dynojet will read on mine when its not so hot outside. my intake temps were around 130F too.

ya it was pretty humid yesterday when they did it. he said that would effect it somewhat. im just happy it runs so much smoother & nicer. it does feel like a whole new car. it isnt all boggy & inncosistant thru the power. before sometimes it would bog @ low & torquey @ high rpms & vise versa. but now it seems pretty touchy & has good pickup thoughout & its always consistant. not trying to play with the pedals trying to find the sweet spot. so i am very happy with it.

my next addition would be a y pipe. easy to intall and one of the best bang for your buck mods. maybe an optimized or 65mm tb too. that and a more aggressive tune should put you over 200 whp...you have a torsen after all, dont be scurred!

ya i was thinking about optimizing the Y. is there a big difference in doing it yourself & say 1 from BAT. im sure theres r better but would optimizing mine make a difference. thats just cutting it & making it a straight flow were the 2 pipes meet right? as for an opt TB is there a difference between an opt'd 2.5 tb & an opt'd 3.0 tb. i was going to have another tune added for more power. the 2 i have are basically a 50/50 tune & an economy tune.

ya i was thinking about optimizing the Y. is there a big difference in doing it yourself & say 1 from BAT. im sure theres r better but would optimizing mine make a difference. thats just cutting it & making it a straight flow were the 2 pipes meet right? .

The BAT Y also comes with a high-flow cat, considering your exhaust setup the optimized Y may be the most cost effective since you don't need to replace the stock cat. From what I've read the optimized may also be the best option next to BAT.

ya i really dont want to drop 300+ for a y pipe right now. so if optimizing mine would be almost as good then i will definetly do that way.

Back