• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Port matched vs 3L Hybrid

3L Port matched vs 3L Hybrid

• Mark's 2000 CSVT 3L Hybrid

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Shane's 1998 CSVT 3L Port Matched

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Who will win? I have a 3L Hybrid. shanes98csvt has a port matched.

List of mods

Mine
2000 CSVT
03 Ford Escape 3L (untuned)
02 Cougar heads
SVT cams
19lb injectors
MSDS y pipe
gutted main cast (stock precats)
AEM short ram intake
Optimized TB
Eibach front springs, stock rear springs, stock style struts
Stock diff/FD
215/50R16's Dunlop Direzza DZ101's

Shanes
1998 CSVT
05 Sable 3L port matched
SVT cams
24lb injectors
gutted pre cats
Optimized Y pipe
high flow cat
short ram intake
Optimized TB
Nautilus tune
BAT Euro kit
Stock Diff/FD
Not sure on tires...

We are going to the track March 31st if all goes according to plan.

You really ought to consider getting a tune to compensate for the increase in compression ratio with a hybrid set up, or at least a wideband O2 to monitor what's going on.

is your csvt tuned?

its also not about just the engine. all 3ls tend to be alike. tires, suspenstion, drivetrain, all play a great role in strip times, u havent listed any of them that the cars have

Edited the info above. My car is still running the stock SVT tune and runs damn near perfect. I do want to get it tuned first, but after i get my rust hole repaired.

Well in my opinion you guys are both crazy for taking your cars to the track on a stock differential. I can't really pick because I don't know either of you personally but based off of the cars mods I would say Shane might have the edge since his has been tuned.

oh yea shanes gonna win then for sure...his is tuned. unless he rlly sucks at driving. a tune is a night and day difference no joke

just for fun il guess.
you: 14.9
shane: 14.5

Shane has more air, more fuel, and a tune..... he SHOULD win.

Maybe has you by about 20hp, so it could come down to driver.

TOW TRUCK DRIVER WINS after you blow up your stock diffs. NO HEADERS?? An optimized stock y pipe, the bent worse than a pretzel MSDS y pipe, one high flo cat, gutted precats and no OTHER exhaust mods? You're both leaving untapped HP at home!! And once you get better diffs, and more HP, you still might need some stickier tires and then be ready for replacing a broken half axle. If I had my rig up to date on tired parts needing replacement, I'd want to know how much handicap you'd give a mere 2.5L...

wow, guys. no offence. but noone wants to keep listening about the stupid difs.
i abused mine at the track a couple times and i have no problems but yes...it might happen. it doesnt mean that it will brake for sure, nor last me another 50k miles. while they're also not stupid and know the risks of driving on the stock dif

i do know the risks of goin to the track on the stock diff. I use to take my zx2 to the track and the diffs are weaker. ive launched that at 4000rpm. if it breaks ill just have to repair it.

I also know of the risk of blowing my diff, but hell, if it goes, then i fix it. I'm a full time mechanic/tow truck driver, so there isnt anything that i cant handle there.

Also, doesnt my higher CR help me out compared to shanes more air/fuel? Why would his put downn 20HP more than me? just from a tune and gutted precats?

Also, i hope to hell i run faster than a 14.9.

just watch wheel hop. wheel hop brakes dif's. i launched at 3.2k

and yes i dynoed my car with a baseline tune and got 175whp. and thats on a baseline. not untuned. after an easy tune i got up to 200. thats 25 more hp from baseline-full tune. and your untuned...

I used to drag my Mystique, so i know about the wheel hop! :D Used to hop through first gear, and never broke anything (not enough torque or HP i guess) I"ll be much more careful with the SVT.

As for power, i'm fairly sure its up there ~185. It pulls strong and runs damn near perfect. I do need to get a tune for it though, just to help out a little, but it probably wont happen before we go to the strip.

Back