• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best N/A numbers

DavidZ hit 249 WHp with a 3L Hybrid that used a set of 1-off adjustable cam gears, custom camshafts and high compression pistons. Not much useful information can be found on CEG on what exactly he did. He did have his own website at one time that showed the whole build but the site has been taken down. He sold the car in 2005 and I don't know who ended-up with it.

DavidZ hit 249 WHp with a 3L Hybrid that used a set of 1-off adjustable cam gears, custom camshafts and high compression pistons. Not much useful information can be found on CEG on what exactly he did. He did have his own website at one time that showed the whole build but the site has been taken down. He sold the car in 2005 and I don't know who ended-up with it.

It's been awhile since I've seen DavidZ's setup, but I thought he just had Roush cams? I don't recall him having adjustable cam gears or different pistons.

I have a physical dyno sheet that says 218. There's a dyno sheet floating online somewhere of my car putting down 231whp by the previous owner.

If there's a dyno day event close to me I'll find out for sure what it is.

mumm brothers(?) 2.5L cougar.

I did a little digging on the Internet and found claims that the Mumm Brothers 2.5L Duratec motor was build by Kinetics and that it put out 290+ HP. I'm pretty sure that output was at the crank since the motor underwent a lot of engine dyno testing. Thus, it was probably delivering a minimum of 240 - 247 Hp to the wheels assuming 15 - 17% loss through the drivetrain.

maybe when it was a 2.5L on spray? I can find out

Goodluck!! Would be nice to see someone put that down but I'll say its a longshot (unless you go all out!)

I dont think its a long shot. just need the right cams and tune.

full 3L made 227HP/214TQ at the wheels.
44000d1314214226-newtune.jpg

before the cams and retune it was at 207/204, so pretty typical of a tuned 3L.
44004d1314230285-olddynobfcams.jpg

Comparing dyno sheets of different dynos would be a bad start, unless you compare them on the same dyno. Dyno's are great tuning tools, and I would just leave them at that.

I did a little digging on the Internet and found claims that the Mumm Brothers 2.5L Duratec motor was build by Kinetics and that it put out 290+ HP. I'm pretty sure that output was at the crank since the motor underwent a lot of engine dyno testing. Thus, it was probably delivering a minimum of 240 - 247 Hp to the wheels assuming 15 - 17% loss through the drivetrain.
You are very close. I have a Kinetics built 2.5 and the most I've seen at the wheels is 237. I've tryed a couple of different header designs and did get some much needed torque. The problem I'm having is I can't tune the motor. I need a different management system, I'm still using the Ford computer and had no luck tuning it! But the car runs great!

Rob

I have a physical dyno sheet that says 218. There's a dyno sheet floating online somewhere of my car putting down 231whp by the previous owner.

If there's a dyno day event close to me I'll find out for sure what it is.
Best the car has done NA is 220/200 and that was done by me. I believe IF Stabler did it, it might have done that with spray when he did the big shot on the 2.5 before it blew.

Best the car has done NA is 220/200 and that was done by me. I believe IF Stabler did it, it might have done that with spray when he did the big shot on the 2.5 before it blew.

Yeah the 218whp dyno sheet seems old- looks like it was before the IMRC was deleted as there's a drop in power at 4k. I can't remember where I got the 231 figure from but it's stuck in my head from somewhere. Anyways, how ya been man? lol

rwalton, 237 at the wheels for a built 2.5L sounds like a top end rocket, and IIRC, that's consistent with road course postings you blessed us with. What kind of torque curve and torque peak did your built 2.5 generate? I once got a nice dyno peak HP result on my street driven 2.5, but torque was below that of many 3Ls, around 175 ft lbs.

I looked and found my last dyno graph. I was wrong it made 246.3hp and 175 ft lb. It makes max hp at 7800 rpm torque is flat from about 6500-7500. I currently have rev limit at 8250rpm, it is still making hp but is falling off quickly.
It is a fun engine but idles at 1800rpm is difficult to drive under 3000rpm. Not a great street engine!!

Rob

Threads like this is why I still poke around now and then (as well as to sell parts I have floating around)

Detailed mod list vanished with the old forums. 11.7:1 Ross Pistons, Escape 3L block & Heads (ported), SVT Cams, 60mm TB, Honed UIM, LIM optimized and so on. Built in my garage :)

Steeda_Sept2305..jpg

What sort of numbers could I expect from a fully forged, high compression 2.5 V6 in N/A format with all the SVT goodies? 250hp at the crank would be very nice, more would be better

Back