• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The Most Powerful N/A 3L Built?

Alright cool I talked to him and he said he can do it and he has done tons of them I just wanted to hear how he has worked out with others. I will really need his help when I build my N/A monster and need a tune for E85... I don't really have anybody local who can tune it so maybe I'll just bring the engine to him.

Alright cool I talked to him and he said he can do it and he has done tons of them I just wanted to hear how he has worked out with others. I will really need his help when I build my N/A monster and need a tune for E85... I don't really have anybody local who can tune it so maybe I'll just bring the engine to him.

He can do it, but it will take a long time to get everything finalized. Have you thought about just buying the SCT Pro racer software and just tuning it yourself?

icefury's car felt very comparable to mine last year at spring zing. i would say 230hp is within reach for him, but to say he will net 250 to the tire is a longshot.

the best dyno i had N/A was actually 229 hp but was inconsistent to the next two pulls so we scratched it off. to a tuner, 1 dyno pull does not constitute a car's claimed HP rating, you have to back it up.

i consistently got 219hp and 212 trq three pulls in a row. this was on a 80 degree day and the car had 64 dyno pulls on it that afternoon, and about 6 hours of tuning. safe to say, it was heat soaked. i wish i had it still, there are some changes i could have made to the tune that were good for a few ponies after going to a port-matched TB and 2007 style intake manifold.

i'd really like to see someone hit 300hp N/A. i think it would take a large bump in compression though.

What all did you get messed around with in your tune TRicker? I know you said you wanted a 12.5 AFR all around, didn't you? But what other supporting mods did you have and possibly other tuning factors?

I have to agree with this ;), We will have to find out this spring when I can get a tune lined up :D

I would love to see the results.......lots of talk about the beast, I hope it lives up to the hype!

Im still a hybrid fan, nothing will change that.

J Jennings

J Jennings

I have a magazine article at home with a 3L cougar built by J Jennings of team prototype in CA. The article says the car made 300hp N/A or something like that. I will have to scan the article when I get home. I believe he bored it to a 3.2 or something like that.

Between the extensive supporting mods, long tube headers, and PnP headwork I've had done (Kinger put over 40 hrs into it), I'm confident 240 whp is where I'm at. If for some reason I fall short of that, I'm certain a custom dyno tune would put me there.

I know people have had hit and miss success with ADC's tunes, but mine is certainly a good one. So good in fact, I sold my xcal and prepaid tune with NPG as I could not justify the expense when my CSVT runs as good as it does. There is definitely a difference with and without the tune. DanG (who built my engine) tested it as well and was pleased with the tune ADC sent me. I'm not suggesting that a personalized dyno tune would not be better, clearly it is. However I believe ADC really nailed my tune and unless my dyno falls considerably short of my expectations, I'm not prepared to spend $500-600 coaxing out a few extra ponies.

I will get a dyno pull done this summer, likely while I'm in the Twin cities this summer for Summer Nationals. I'll be sure and post the results. Tricker, where did you get you dyno done? I'll probably just go there as I know you were satisfied with their shop.

Between the extensive supporting mods, long tube headers, and PnP headwork I've had done (Kinger put over 40 hrs into it), I'm confident 240 whp is where I'm at. If for some reason I fall short of that, I'm certain a custom dyno tune would put me there.

I know people have had hit and miss success with ADC's tunes, but mine is certainly a good one. So good in fact, I sold my xcal and prepaid tune with NPG as I could not justify the expense when my CSVT runs as good as it does. There is definitely a difference with and without the tune. DanG (who built my engine) tested it as well and was pleased with the tune ADC sent me. I'm not suggesting that a personalized dyno tune would not be better, clearly it is. However I believe ADC really nailed my tune and unless my dyno falls considerably short of my expectations, I'm not prepared to spend $500-600 coaxing out a few extra ponies.

I will get a dyno pull done this summer, likely while I'm in the Twin cities this summer for Summer Nationals. I'll be sure and post the results. Tricker, where did you get you dyno done? I'll probably just go there as I know you were satisfied with their shop.

DB performance in rogers, MN. the owner (dan) did my tune. very affordable and highly knowledgeable.

i suggest you go there. regardless, i wouldnt walk around making claims about HP until you get the dyno sheets. otherwise you may be walking around with your foot in your mouth later. :p

DB performance in rogers, MN. the owner (dan) did my tune. very affordable and highly knowledgeable.

i suggest you go there. regardless, i wouldnt walk around making claims about HP until you get the dyno sheets. otherwise you may be walking around with your foot in your mouth later. :p

Thanks for the shop info. I've meet Dan a few times at SVTOA events, yeah he knows his stuff. I'll pm you and see if your interested in meeting up there when the time comes. I've never claimed to be making 240 whp, I've always been clear it's a estimate. All things considered, I feel my estimate is a accurate one. If I'm wrong, I'm ok with that and I'll be happy to talk about it publicly. My ego does not bruise easily.

Thanks for the shop info. I've meet Dan a few times at SVTOA events, yeah he knows his stuff. I'll pm you and see if your interested in meeting up there when the time comes. I've never claimed to be making 240 whp, I've always been clear it's a estimate. All things considered, I feel my estimate is a accurate one. If I'm wrong, I'm ok with that and I'll be happy to talk about it publicly. My ego does not bruise easily.

haha ok man. i'd love to meet up and talk to danny. I also want to see if he can unlock my XCAL with his dealer version of PRP or can get me some kind of deal on unlocking it through SCT. i won't have a car to dyno this summer (most likely) but i may have a few 300+HP sleds to dyno :p

haha ok man. i'd love to meet up and talk to danny. I also want to see if he can unlock my XCAL with his dealer version of PRP or can get me some kind of deal on unlocking it through SCT. i won't have a car to dyno this summer (most likely) but i may have a few 300+HP sleds to dyno :p

Yea I'll be heading up to DB Performance myself... hopefully by the end of April. Tyler your more then welcome to tag along for that as well. I need to contact Danny to see if he could fit me in for a few days.

Yea I'll be heading up to DB Performance myself... hopefully by the end of April. Tyler your more then welcome to tag along for that as well. I need to contact Danny to see if he could fit me in for a few days.

i'd be interested in that too! you gotta call him at least a few weeks in advance. he seems to always have people on the dyno.

oh and you guys should all check out the april issue of car craft. my name is mentioned in there for building up a pretty sick malibu wagon!!

I would love to see the results.......lots of talk about the beast, I hope it lives up to the hype!

Im still a hybrid fan, nothing will change that.

It should put out numbers near TRickers....and you have to remember the dyno that he used was a VERY low reading dyno. They were basically the same engine...he had a better flowing intake, the pudmobile has a better flowing exhaust.

DB might be seeing a few Contours this spring, I hope to be able to get in there when the weather starts to warm up.

group pricing for dyno tunes? :laugh:

I'd go to beat all of you suckers :D

DB Tuning does do group pricing, just need to call for details. If we were going to go in on a group buy, I would vote to do it the day before Summer Nationals (Friday July 21). Many of us attend this event and will be coming from all over to go. I have 3-4 hours drive time each way so I'd rather not make that kind of drive just to Dyno and go home.

I'll wager lunch or dinner my Dyno beats yours :)

Back