• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#1382 Turbo CSVT numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

2kSVT

CEG'er
I just got a call from the kid that bought my turbo SVT, said he took it to a local shop and they found it to be running 8% lean at WOT. The AEM A/F gauge said it was right on 12.8-12.9 at WOT when I sold it. He said this shop (Precision) said the plugs were amost burnt through due to the lean mixture. He said they "fixed" the tune and turned boost to 10#. He said he has the sheet to show it put down 310 hp at 10# on stock 2.5 motor. He said he will bring the sheet by so I can see it. I'm awaiting the painful call when he says "I blew it the F up". He also said it ran 13.85 @102 after this fix. Not sure of the track cause Kil-Kare only has test and tune on Thurs. and my neighbor saw him run a best of 14.15 ???

More to come..

Rod

I just got a call from the kid that bought my turbo SVT, said he took it to a local shop and they found it to be running 8% lean at WOT. The AEM A/F gauge said it was right on 12.8-12.9 at WOT when I sold it. He said this shop (Precision) said the plugs were amost burnt through due to the lean mixture. He said they "fixed" the tune and turned boost to 10#. He said he has the sheet to show it put down 310 hp at 10# on stock 2.5 motor. He said he will bring the sheet by so I can see it. I'm awaiting the painful call when he says "I blew it the F up". He also said it ran 13.85 @102 after this fix. Not sure of the track cause Kil-Kare only has test and tune on Thurs. and my neighbor saw him run a best of 14.15 ???

I hate to be the one to break it to you but 12.8-12.9 A/F at WOT is lean. If that is the true A/F ratio and you drove it like that for some time it's a wonder it didn't gernade before you sold it. The absolute leanest it should be with an accurate reading (a tailpipe sensor is not accurate) is around 12.0 and that is borderline to me. For comparison a race gas file for my Cobra (110 leaded) would be about 11.7-11.8 max and my pump gas tune is 11.4-11.5. My pump gas tune is for 17 psi.

Eight cylinders or not a A/F ratio for a FI car should be about the same regardless.

Shannon

310 at the wheels on a 2.5 is impressive in the least. I hope he manages to show you proof.

So if it turns out he was right and the tuner fixed the problems in the tune is your ego gonna be able to take it?

I hate to be the one to break it to you but 12.8-12.9 A/F at WOT is lean. If that is the true A/F ratio and you drove it like that for some time it's a wonder it didn't gernade before you sold it. The absolute leanest it should be with an accurate reading (a tailpipe sensor is not accurate) is around 12.0 and that is borderline to me. For comparison a race gas file for my Cobra (110 leaded) would be about 11.7-11.8 max and my pump gas tune is 11.4-11.5. My pump gas tune is for 17 psi.

Eight cylinders or not a A/F ratio for a FI car should be about the same regardless.

Shannon
I have been told the 11.5-11.9 that my NA runs at WOT is rich.

Contour's have typically run very well at leaner AFR's than is typically expected. Mostly because the engine seems to have a very good combustion chamber design.

The only real reason you try to run richer is to cool down the combustion chamber to prevent detonation. If however the combustion is resistance to detonation you can run a leaner mixture for better power.

The 11.7 is typical for a Forced Induction tune because it is the Rich Best Power point for gasoline and the extra fuel helps to keep things cool.

I thought I just saw a video of the dyno on youtube or streetfire or something. The description in the video said it was running lean and the dyno op wouldn't go any further. I thought it was showing 330whp or around that...I am pretty sure it was this car.

I thought I just saw a video of the dyno on youtube or streetfire or something. The description in the video said it was running lean and the dyno op wouldn't go any further. I thought it was showing 330whp or around that...I am pretty sure it was this car.
the car you saw is black lol his car was silver not to mention that vid is almost 2 yrs old now lol if i just found the one you were talking about

Oh yeah your right I could have sworn it was a silfro :nonono: The description is the same though thats what must have thrown me off.

I have been told the 11.5-11.9 that my NA runs at WOT is rich.

Well yeah that is rich for a N/A motor. From the discussions I've had with my tuner a N/A motor makes optimum power one full point leaner than a FI car.

Contour's have typically run very well at leaner AFR's than is typically expected. Mostly because the engine seems to have a very good combustion chamber design.

The only real reason you try to run richer is to cool down the combustion chamber to prevent detonation. If however the combustion is resistance to detonation you can run a leaner mixture for better power.

The 11.7 is typical for a Forced Induction tune because it is the Rich Best Power point for gasoline and the extra fuel helps to keep things cool.

What you speak is the truth... but running a FI set-up that lean is not using good sense. Running a tune that lean is the ragged edge so to speak and all it would take is one bad batch of gas to ruin your day. I'd rather run a little richer and keep my motor than make a few more horsepower and run the risk of blowing up the motor.

Perhaps my logic is why the stock longblock in my Cobra is still in there as assembled by Ford with 46,000 rather hard miles on it :eek:

My .02... your mileage may vary.

Shannon

As far as my ego..it will be fine. The guy who tuned my car..well his name is Joey and he uh..built the kit. He did the tune by datalogs, but I thought we had it right. The sensor is in the section of pipe just before the cat-back, where the cat would have been. I have been hanging out on a local forum, and have heard all about his daily attempts to destroy the car. A local "spotted" thread turned in to a 12 page bash on this kid. He went to the track and bragged about how "we" built the car together. I had to inform his buddies, that I met him when he replied to the craigslist ad! Unless he is a pasty white skinny kid from Mi. that drives an Evo, he did not wrench on the car!! He called me and told me that the car handled great and pulled hard to the limits of the speedo! It's a matter of time. When he wraps it around a tree, I'll try to salvage the kit from the JY and sell it to one of you.

Rod

I think your A/F was fine...I believe Joey said he tries to tune it to about 12.6 to 12.8...mine goes to about 12.1 to 12.4 depending on the temps. and humidity.

I have been hanging out on a local forum, and have heard all about his daily attempts to destroy the car. A local "spotted" thread turned in to a 12 page bash on this kid. He went to the track and bragged about how "we" built the car together. I had to inform his buddies, that I met him when he replied to the craigslist ad! Unless he is a pasty white skinny kid from Mi. that drives an Evo, he did not wrench on the car!! He called me and told me that the car handled great and pulled hard to the limits of the speedo! It's a matter of time. When he wraps it around a tree, I'll try to salvage the kit from the JY and sell it to one of you.

Rod

Damn. That sucks to hear that something that you put so much work into is being abused. That's part of the reason why I never want to know what happens to my cars after I sell them. I just don't think that I could take something like that. The local forum isn't xceedspeed, is it? I don't remember if that's just Michigan or Michigan and surrounding.

I think your A/F was fine...I believe Joey said he tries to tune it to about 12.6 to 12.8...mine goes to about 12.1 to 12.4 depending on the temps. and humidity.

You want 11.8-12.0 or less for a FI car. Under WOT that's what I run as does almost every other FI car out there. Why chance it for a few more hp? NA your target should be 12.7-13.0 at WOT!

You want 11.8-12.0 or less for a FI car. Under WOT that's what I run as does almost every other FI car out there. Why chance it for a few more hp? NA your target should be 12.7-13.0 at WOT!

Actually, I may have spoken too soon before really thinking about it...at WOT I'm usually around 11.8 to 12.1 and I will sometimes peak around 12.4 or 12.6...I may hit those lean numbers for barely a second, but steady WOT is usually around 12.1...

It's difficult to get a consistent reading, because the gauge does jump around a bit...however, I should probably just datalog to get a true number...

Unless you're a stock WRX... in which case you run 9:1 :p

I run around 12-12.2 using Water/Meth injection.

That's funny because I was searching before I posted and I did noticed that the WRX seems to run in the 10 range for some reason. lol

It's difficult to get a consistent reading, because the gauge does jump around a bit...however, I should probably just datalog to get a true number...

It should remain relatively constant at WOT. Mine hits 11.8-12 when I go WOT and then starts to lean out near readline because of a pegged MAF that I need to fix.

I always thought it should be around 12.9-13.1 afr?

Yeah, that's about the same as 12.7-13.0. It will differ depending on where you are reading it from in the exhaust and from sensor to sensor so I thought I'd give a range. For some reason the NA Contour/Cougar seem to like 12.7 or 12.8 more but I think generally people tune around 13.0 for other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back