• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Big Bend open road race

rwalton

Pole's Nemisis
After a much needed refresh the contour is back in action. I leave Tuesday for the much needed warm and dry Fort Stockton Texas. I decided to run the 145mph class which will be a challenge, basically 120 miles of two lane Texas highway flat out.
Anyone from the Big Bend area? they are always looking for volunteers to work the course.

Rob

I made it home from Texas. The car ran fantastic and I accomplished what I wanted. I finished 3.6 seconds off a perfect 145 mph average, which is not close enough to get on the podium. In my class there was a tie for first place of .015 of a second off perfect. So I was a little disappointed with my finish!
So here is what I was happy with, the car averaged 145 mph for 120 miles and I hit a new top speed record for the car at 168.7. Here are a couple of early pictures and I think I got some good in car video I will work on this week.
Rob

Here are the pictures. Looks like my spoiler needs some work.

Attachments

• 142S_zpsa41c31be..jpg
    142S_zpsa41c31be..jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 142N_zpsa59b765b..jpg
    142N_zpsa59b765b..jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
thats awesome. is it all straight or are there some curves as well? how much fuel do you use in that?

i looked at the bbor.com and saw the directions. do you have a navigator calling off things like in WRC? that sounds like something that i would love to do. something like that or running the salt flats is a bucket list item for me

I have to ask how much power are you making?
It made 245hp at 7600rpm with the old exhaust. The new headers and exhaust haven't been on the dyno but I'm sure it's around 250.

Sometimes I use a navigator. I have a buddy who does a great job and last year we ran the 140 in my Trans Am but when I told him we were running the Contour at 145mph he bailed. I have run the road enough I don't need a navigator, but it is much easier and I get closer to my speed with one.

Rob

Here are a couple more pictures from the start. Working on the video.

Rob

Attachments

• start..jpg
    start..jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4328..jpg
    IMG_4328..jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4322..jpg
    IMG_4322..jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Here are a few minutes from my southbound run. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to download longer runs. So here is 3 minutes all in 5th gear.

Rob

Back