• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Big Bend Open Road Race

rwalton

Pole's Nemisis
Just got back from BBORR in Texas. For the first time in several years I didn't take the Contour. Everyone ask where it was and why I didn't bring it and was it still alive! All these years I didn't think there was any love in the Open Road Race community for the Contour. That is what is so fun about these races, you see alittle bit of everything.
This year I took the Trans Am, we ran in the 140mph class finished .435 seconds off perfect and finished 6th.
If any of you watch Hot Rod TV they did a show about SORC which is another example of Open Road Racing. I never miss that event.

Rob

Nice Rob! And like everyone at the BBORR I'm looking forward to seeing the Contour especially the new paint. Any chance of making SZ?

What's top end of your Trans-AM?

Not going to make SZ this year, going to stay closer to home for a few months. I need to get the contour back together and ready for a possible October run at Bonneville. The color turned out very cool!
Our tech speed (max speed you are allowed) was 168mph so we only saw around 160 in the race. But in practice we hit 170 and it was still pulling, so maybe with a long enough road 180???

Rob

The Contour is actually more stable at speed, but I've only gone 164mph. The TA has a serious front end lift at 150, but with some creative taping it becomes manageable. If your look at the pictures in this post even with the front end taped up the car still lifts. I'm thinking about some type of spoiler similar to the contour but it picks up air for the radiator under the nose. The fun thing about the TA is you get to 140 really fast.

Rob

Back