• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which direction to go?

Goumba

Hard-core CEG'er
I love autocrossing, and try to do it as much as possible. I've just never autocrossed my contour. I autocross all over NC about twice a month in my bone stock sentra spec-v. My contour has been down and out of action for over a year now, and that's why I haven't autocrossed it yet. I now found the time (and money) to get it up and running. It's still not in a state that I would autocross it in just yet, but I hope it will be soon. My main goal is to have fun, but I would also like to be slightly competitive. Right now it has koni's w/ground controll, 21mm rsb, rear strut tie bar, b&m, high flow cat, and a working vortech. I NEED tires. I have e0 and e1 wheels with street tires on them both. I really don't think I want to deal with the supercharger and it's clutch, tire, lsd and money eating habbits. The engine and gearbox are fairly fresh. Each with just under 50k. The car is at 99k however. So right now I'm in the process of replacing just about everything that can wear out. It's more expensive than I thought. Any Ideas of what would be a good route to go with my car? Keep in mind it has to be barely street legal in FL. It's by no strech hard.

Not sure if this completely answers the question...
I only autocrossed my Mystique once... and it spun the inside tire like crazy. If you want to autocross get the trans. to Terry H. and have him install a Quaife LSD.

I'm also hooked on track days. If you have open track time at a large road course near by you'll be hooked too. Spending all day at an autocross doesn't seem like much fun after you've run a few full laps at speed on a serious road course. You really don't need an LSD depending on the track either (my opinion of course).

Finally, you may just do what I've done... spend all your hard earned money and buy a stinking race car. There's nothing like running in a good wheel to wheel/fender to fender regional club race with SCCA or NASA.
Good luck and have fun!

Yeah if I was serious about autoxing a contour, I'd get a lsd. Though that puts you in an uncompetive class probably, but a contour isn't gonna win nationals in any class anyways.

Auto X

Auto X

I have a great time keeping up with some really nice cars in Auto-X. I have a vid of me racing i do have others but i dont have the internet at home. I will show you some times that might blow your mind's as soon as they post the last auto cross of the year. Take a look and enjoy!

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/Legato626/auto x/?action=view&current=MVI_2735.flv

Keep in mind that this was done with out my koni's,intake,poly roll,strut bar,b+m shifter. I love my SVT.

I autocrossed my brothers(96blackse) car with regular size street tires (Azenis RT-615), was 3 seconds slower then turbo miata's w/ oversized r compound tires on a mid 60 second track layout.

I donno about you guys, but I think thats pretty damn competitive for a 4 door car.

And why not get an LSD? If you want to be competitive LSD is a must.

I would recommend just doing every mod one by one rather then dumping everything on the car. Put some sticky tires, take it out as it is, improve your driving, it should be classed pretty low as it is, and I am sure in its stock class it should be pretty damn competitive.

Good luck.

I love autocrossing, and try to do it as much as possible. I've just never autocrossed my contour. I autocross all over NC about twice a month in my bone stock sentra spec-v. My contour has been down and out of action for over a year now, and that's why I haven't autocrossed it yet. I now found the time (and money) to get it up and running. It's still not in a state that I would autocross it in just yet, but I hope it will be soon. My main goal is to have fun, but I would also like to be slightly competitive. Right now it has koni's w/ground controll, 21mm rsb, rear strut tie bar, b&m, high flow cat, and a working vortech. I NEED tires. I have e0 and e1 wheels with street tires on them both. I really don't think I want to deal with the supercharger and it's clutch, tire, lsd and money eating habbits. The engine and gearbox are fairly fresh. Each with just under 50k. The car is at 99k however. So right now I'm in the process of replacing just about everything that can wear out. It's more expensive than I thought. Any Ideas of what would be a good route to go with my car? Keep in mind it has to be barely street legal in FL. It's by no strech hard.

The Vortech puts you in Street Mod, which is kind of a wide open $$$ class. If you take the S/C off, the hi-flow cat keeps you in STX. Your suspension setup seems pretty robust, but the rest is all tuning. Also, if basic pieces are worn out, you'll want to refresh those, too, so those Koni/GC's can really work.

LSD is legal for STX, as well, but that's it. No TH "special" MTX, or lightened flywheels, or you're back in SM, IIRC.

I wouldn't do jack to the car, though, until you've run it a few times and can understand what it will need, or if you really want to go further. That Spec V seems like a better starting point, but then I've heard it has issues, too. (Short Gearing?)

The Contour is absolutely not a competitively classed car. It could be close in STS with the following:

Stripper GL with no options but V-6.

Revalved, shortened Konis
Custom CC plates
Adjustable rear control arms
Pricey 17x7.5" wheels

This would drop between 100-200 lbs off my setup. This means at the very best it'll weigh 2600lb. The Neons weigh 2200lb, and have darn close to as much power. We have 225-width 17" tires and loads more torque. The 2.5RS has similar power/tq and suspension, but AWD. This hurts acceleration on the straights, but they get way ahead when we're lifting the inside front.

Now, if you want to be locally competitive and only lose to Civics and other nat'l level cars, get some good 17x7.5" wheels (under 17lb, under 15lb is better), 225/45R17 Yoko Adan Neova or Bridgestone RE-01Rs, stiffen up the rear springs (425lb worked for me), and shed all the weight you can.

If you have an LSD then you're in STX - you can try cramming 245s on 8" wheels (same tire brands), and get MSDS headers and a (lightweight) hi-flow cat.

In either STX or STS a well-piloted Contour can bring the wood to anyone but a great driver in a great car. Just be aware going in that you'll never be able to make the car really competitive on a national level.

Back