• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Open-Tracking the ///M3

Rara

Hard-core CEG'er
Cut and pasted from another forum I post on. The Bobby I mention in this post is the previous owner of my M3 . . .

So, last weekend, at the last minute, a couple friends convinced me to join them for an open track event at Gingerman.

First, the stock brake pads Bobby had on the car were nearly shot even before I bought the car, and I hadn't changed them yet. So, I hunted all over town on a friday afternoon to locate track pads for the M3. For the fronts I really lucked out, and a friend got me some Hawk HP+ pads for cost . . . Not my first choice, but they would certainly do the trick. For the rears, I bought some random parts store ceramic pads and crossed my fingers, lol.

So, saturday I swapped pads and flushed the fluid with some decent stuff (ATE blue) and I taped up the torn under tray (Bobby said he didn't do it, that the previous owner did) with the really good racers tape so it wouldn't hang down and drag under really heavy braking.

Started the day with tire pressures too high, and the car was a basket case. by the second session I dropped the pressures to a more manageable level (though still too high) and the car was much much better. Each session I dropped a few more psi and the car got pretty good, though I felt it was awfully soft. I was running about the same times (estimates based on video taken at the event put me in the high 1:42s and low 1:43s) as some friends in modified mustangs with about the same power and slicks. I was running the BFG KDW's. There definately is more in the car, since I was running only in 3rd all the way around, and there was about 4 places where dropping to 2nd for a corner would have let me come out WAY harder. But, I didn't want to abuse the clutch . . . because someone else already had ;) lol.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the car, but it definately needs more front tire. The whole staggered thing is dumb on a car like that; it's no 911. I think the staggered tires may be why the steering isn't more aggressive; if the rack was any faster, it would just make the understeer worse for most drivers. Other than that, I think the car was just a bit soft, but well composed.

I found out I can supposedly fit 275/35/18 tires all the way around, which is good and bad, because I can get all the Hoosier GAC slicks in that size I want, but it means I'd be dumping money into this car to make it a track whore . . . I think it would be awesome with 18x9+ wheels around, decent front brake calipers (needs some fixed calipers) camber/caster plates, and some springs/dampers/bars that are a little more stiff. Maybe a good seat w/ harness too.

I need to sell this car before I let it make me broke. I need to build a competitive race car instead that can make me even more broke, but at least I can race wheel to wheel with . . .

mm12.sized.jpg

Wow - you're into it.

Time to buy a full time race car.

Yeah, I've got a good bit of experience w/ sportscar racing, just never owning and driving my own car in a compeitive environment. I'd really like to put together a car for NASA's AI series.

nice. but i wouldnt get into modding a BMW for track racing. by the time you have a fairly competitive car, you could be at the head of the pack in a cheaper car. i don't know what i'm talking about, i guess that's just my opinion. anyone got ideas of what cars are competitive open track cars?

Um, open track isn't "competitive" there is no official recording of laptimes at all.

Racing is competitive, but that's not what I'm doing with the M3 . . .

////////M333333333333333333 do you got the 4 banger one? those are hotttttt.

Umm, the pic above is clearly an E46...unless I'm the one drinking Draino here.

Rara,

I recall an article on a Dinan E46 a while back that griped about the staggered wheel layout as well. Their fix was to put more meat all the way around, to the tune of 265's up front and 275's at the rear in a 19" flavor. If I remember, the goal was to bring back the crisp "neutral" handling and quick turn-in that the old E36 had and a larger patch of rubber on the front and read seemed to be the main fix...

I'm sure they monkeyed around with the suspension as well as it was a Dinan showpiece car that one of the auto rags reviewed (maybe it was Autoweek???). Of course this was a bunch of journalists regurgitating what they were being fed by Dinan in order to push their product, but that's not to say it wasn't true.

Anywho, on a different note, I know of folks that started out with excellent handling and turn-in with their C5's only to ruin it by putting large meats on the back and kept a 245-size patch up front. It's great for the strip, but sucks for a road course...They would get a lot of push in corners where my stock suspension and R6's on stock C5 wheels would give me close lap times and I was by far the least experienced driver doing laps at MSR in a 'Vette...

JaTo,

For the record, the day we were out there, the only other E46 out there was a Dinan tuned M3, and once I got my pressures reasonable, I was nearly lapping the guy every session. I never got a good look at the car to know if it was anything more than a couple engine bits on it from Dinan though.
The car definately needs bigger meat up front, or even less tire in the back, it just needs to be evened up somehow. If I keep the car, I'll probably end up putting together a set of 18x9 wheels all the way around so i can run the 275/35/18 Grand Am Hoosiers at the track.

Are you high? Can you not see the pic posted at the beginning of the thread? That is me, in my car, on the track . . . what more do you want?

OMG u dork obviously it says pic added 9/.17 and your post was on 9/07 so dont tell me it was always there guy. u dork so u mustve added it after I asked for a pic wierdo jeez. damn u trippin'. nice ride btw love the helmet. ya thats right shut you AND jato down NOW WHATTT....

Last edited:
OMG u dork obviously it says pic added 9/.17 and your post was on 9/07 so dont tell me it was always there guy. u dork so u mustve added it after I asked for a pic wierdo jeez. damn u trippin'. nice ride btw love the helmet. ya thats right shut you AND jato down NOW WHATTT....

It says nothing about the pic being added later, champ. Try for some reading comprehension, and while you're at it, please try to compose your posts in english as well. But, you must still be high or something, because you didn't shut anyone down; though, I might have to shut you down for trying to be a punk . . . don't make me give you a few days off from the board.

It says nothing about the pic being added later, champ. Try for some reading comprehension, and while you're at it, please try to compose your posts in english as well. But, you must still be high or something, because you didn't shut anyone down; though, I might have to shut you down for trying to be a punk . . . don't make me give you a few days off from the board.

Oh nice answer there bigguy. Im good with a computer so I know when you posted it. Now I call you out and retaliate in the same way you did, now youre gonna try and use your weak forum powers on me huh? How typical. Youre a punk. calling me "high" when I obviously busted you out there. All I did was basically ask what kinda M3 you had and you flip out and start saying thigs like "high" lol.

Why can't you take critisizm like you did me?

Last edited:
Dont you wish.....

what are you getting so angry about all I did was ask for a pic dang....

Considering its an Sparco composite helmet designed for open wheel racing (ie wind tunnel tested) I probably don't have too wish much on this one.

All you did was ask for a pic that was already there, and got all testy about it. In fact, you didn't even ask, you demanded. We don't put up with that sort of behavior around here, so, grow up a bit, or, you won't be posting anymore.

Last edited:
Oh nice answer there bigguy. Im good with a computer so I know when you posted it. Now I call you out and retaliate in the same way you did, now youre gonna try and use your weak forum powers on me huh? How typical. Youre a punk. calling me "high" when I obviously busted you out there. All I did was basically ask what kinda M3 you had and you flip out and start saying thigs like "high" lol.

Why can't you take critisizm like you did me?

Obviously not as good as you think. The post was never edited. When you check the properties of the photo it will always show the first time you downloaded the pic Which means, if you clear your web cache and re-open this thread, it will show today's date then. You obviously have no clue as to what you are talking about, regardless of the subject. Don't get all mad at me because you weren't paying attention.

Last edited:
Back