• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour blooper video from Chumpcar race at VIR

GCR2

CEG'er
Thought everyone might get a laugh from our bloopers during the race at VIR. We weren't the only team fighting to stay on course. Strange, , but I drove a 24 hour race at VIR back in August in much heavier rain and the track wasn't nearly as slippery. I'm working on another video I'll try to get posted up in the next few days that shows some of our better moves that helped push us up 26 positions during the rain on Sat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zbdaE8Q6TA

Tires were 225/50/16 Dunlop Dirreza Z!! Star Specs. They are the most popular tire in the series. Rules call for a 180TW or higher tire.

SVT swaybar in the rear, SE in the front. BAT suspension. .

Not sure if the car is stiff enough, but you might be able to get rid of some of that understeer by disconnect the front bar. Might be worth experimenting, because that was really bad lol

Those were some pretty good spins, I was laughing, but more-so at the comments on the screen. Am glad you finished and kept it out of the walls.

Running in the rain usually wants fairly soft suspension settings. I would have tried disconnecting the rear anti-roll bar to keep the rear end behind me, the nice thing about front drive is you can manage the oversteer with the gas pedal if you have enough front traction. If you ever race in the rain again, try disconnecting both anti-roll bars, in a low traction situation, keeping all the tires on the pavement is more important than controlling body roll. Anti-roll bars are not your friends in low traction racing.

Well that was fun! Seeing your vid makes me want to hit the track again. It's really too bad you couldn't enjoy the speed/fun of VIR when it is dry.

"Not sure if the car is stiff enough, but you might be able to get rid of some of that understeer by disconnect the front bar. Might be worth experimenting, because that was really bad lol"

I considered doing that, but the forecast was only calling for on and off showers Sat and then dry and sunny Sun. Figured overall I was better off leaving it connected.

"Might want to consider downsizing to a 215 or a 205 tire if you're running stock SVT wheels."

Curious - are you saying this just due to the rain or using that size in general.?

"It's really too bad you couldn't enjoy the speed/fun of VIR when it is dry"

It's a great track. We've all driven it many times before. I've run North, South, Full and Grand configurations. The North configuration actually suited us really well as we don't have enough power for that long back straight. Sun was dry. It actually hurt us as lots of the cars that really struggled in the rain Sat. were hammering it on Sun. .

"Might want to consider downsizing to a 215 or a 205 tire if you're running stock SVT wheels."

Curious - are you saying this just due to the rain or using that size in general.?

225 is just a little bit wide for a stock SVT wheel, it's what's called a cantilevered mount. The narrow mounting pulls in the sidewalls and makes the tire softer in the lateral grip direction. The effect is that during cornering the edges of the tread tend to roll up away from the pavement, so the advantage of the wider tread is somewhat lost. On a wet track, that softness might have some advantage, but on a dry track, a narrower tire that isn't a cantilevered mount might have a little more grip and be faster.

Back