• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AZ: Phoenix meet 11/20

morbid

Hard-core CEG'er
Chas and Pete should be coming up from Tucson on Sunday to help with my car... so I might as well make it into a meet for those available! Help if you want, don't help if you don't want to... it's cool. Either way the tranny is coming out. I'll be out in the garage around 9am, but come whenever you want. We (er, my wife) will be providing lunch and beverages too.

Please pm me if you're planning to show up (or call/txt me at 602.43two.3974) and I'll send my address... also so we can make sure to have enough stuff.

Almost feels like a GB for something everyone wants, then no one pays LOL

Haven't been on the forum in a while just saw this today. I would like to swing by and meet you guys if it's not too late. I just texted Morbid hopefully I can get an address before you guys finish

Thanks to Chas, Pete, RAD, and DarkDragon for making it out.. and thanks for the help! It was nice to meet Ken and Brian... and finally put a face to the name. Sorry you couldn't make it Nez...

So... after a very long 2.5 hours :)p), I was sad to see this...

20111120_001-2.jpg

So it appears that the intermediate shaft bearing seized and cracked the housing.... at least that's the best guess without opening up the case. Also, the Spec Stage 3+ appeared intact -- all springs were where they were supposed to be. So that's about 18k miles on the clutch, and about 50k miles since the tranny was rebuilt.

So I am coming back up for Tue, Wed, and Thur. So I can help out Tue and Wed evening/night!

Also, I may bug you while I'm there to take one of the Toe Control Arms loose at the heim, so I know what I'm dealing with ;)

Fair enough :D

I have the engine support brace on, and the subframe tightened up. I'll probably be picking up some wheel dollys on Monday, so I'm hoping to have the car moved over by Monday night... but that's dependent on work. Either way, you're welcome to come by... just let me know.

If you want to put the move off until Tuesday, I'll be glad to lend a hand. If not, I'll still come by and bug you anyway :crazy:

heh k. I'm actually off tomorrow, so that would work out better... as long as I don't get called back in. I'm also thinking about putting it back together and moving it like normal. I hate to put things together, just to take it back apart... but it seems like the most simple route. Then I wouldn't be out $100+ for a decent pair of wheel dollys, and I could use that money for the tranny rebuild.

So my next steps are to get moving on sending the tranny out, and also getting new front wheel bearings so I can swap the hubs and be done with that.

Sounds good. It shouldn't take us too long to put it back together.

I'm excited to start work on the axels. I'm hoping the hubs will take the standard contour bearings, I never thought to ask Frank when ordering.

I'll call you once I've run all my service calls before I head over.

Sounds good. It shouldn't take us too long to put it back together.

I'm excited to start work on the axels. I'm hoping the hubs will take the standard contour bearings, I never thought to ask Frank when ordering.

I'll call you once I've run all my service calls before I head over.

So who's putting these on first?

hahah, I'm thinking that I'll do it some time mid-December. But my car still won't be drivable until probably around January (hopefully). So maybe Chas will be the first to have them on and using them?

Things to do before my car is back on the road: I have to send out the tranny to be fixed (and change the final gear). Put these hubs+axles on. Get a new intercooler made. Fab up a new front shelf to support my new huge heat exchanger.

Oh, and figure out the Mustang throttlebody linkage. I cheated on my old 65mm one by just using the SVT shaft, but the 70mm t/b is too big for that shaft.

After all of that, I need a new boost controller (the old one seized) and install a vacuum solenoid that will let me switch between the wastegate spring (~4.5lbs) and the boost controller (~7lbs). Then get a new tune after all of that. Lots to do.... and I think I'm forgetting some things too.

I'm glad you got the car moved. What was the secret to the steering linkage?

I think I'm going to get those parts ordered later this week - more incentive to get it done LOL

It was basically in place when you left, but the shaft was extended a little too far. So the rod off the rack is slightly triangular shaped, and the acute angle goes into the angle of the shaft bracket... with the 'gate' closing behind the wider end. But the tip of the rod has a slight lip to it and has to be at a certain place in the bracket for it to all fit together perfectly, so that the gate can close. It seemed straightforward after it was all done... but I wasn't about to take it apart to do again :D

Thanks again for your help... again! I'll try to remember to always push the ball joint cover down to make sure the ball joint is actually in the a-arm... that was weird! :blackeye:

Thanks again for your help... again! I'll try to remember to always push the ball joint cover down to make sure the ball joint is actually in the a-arm... that was weird! :blackeye:

your welcome :)

We almost made a low rider out of your SVT LoL

Back