• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally back on the road!!

morbid

Hard-core CEG'er
It's running good, except for the missing imrc cel. I finished it thursday, picked it up saturday, getting dyno tuned this saturday (at ADC), and then off to emissions so I can get my permanent license/tags.

I'm currently running the SVT UIM on the 04 3L. My brother made some nice 1/2 aluminum spacers to fit the UIM over the larger valve covers. The spacers go above the NPG split port to oval port adapters.

Some stuff is half assed, but still functional. I also want to get a lighter wastegate spring, so I can run lower than 8psi in the first couple gears. There seems to be a lot more lower end power, but I can't tell the real power difference until I get new tires (still no 3rd gear traction).

I was really hoping to have it all finalized in time to attend the meet Robert posted about... but I'm just glad it's almost done.

Nice good to hear its running under its own power again! So other then the SVT UIM you went with a full 3l swap?

Yep, it's a full Taurus 3L except for the LIM (NPG), UIM (SVT), and fuel rail (Escape). The only reason I kept the SVT UIM is because the intercooler wouldn't fit a 3L UIM... with the throttlebody angle.

heheh I took some pics from the first time... just didn't have the car running long enough to want to post them. I was waiting until I had a dyno to go with it, but it started sputtering on the dyno and wouldn't get over 5k rpm. Keith said the 2.5L would have made around 420fwhp. Cylinder 4 failed shortly after :(. This was a setup I got from TheFordGuy, who had bought Keith's old ADC car.

So now I have a junkyard 3L. The i/c is also leaking, so I changed to water+alcohol until I can get a new one made.

I'll take some pics today and put them in the pics/vids section.

hahah, sorry. I just haven't had alot of free time. When I do, I forget :(

I'll be sure to take some pics tomorrow morning when I'm at ADC. Maybe a dyno vid too.

In the mean time, here's some non-engine bay pics I took. They were taken before I swapped setups... I got the water system in first.

Cleaned up the reservoir. The "aviation" style plug was all rusted and the reservoir had a bunch of rust flakes in it. I had an aluminum mini tower on order to replace it. The brass barbed fittings were replaced with AN fittings (including an AN cap to replace the plastic one that was pressed on it). I also added a drain valve and a right angle bulkhead fitting to more easily drain it.
p1010102.jpg

I replaced the power antenna with the water pump for a cleaner look. With the carpet on, you can't tell it's there, except for the loud pump buzz.
p1010104.jpg

Another angle of the pump.. showing the hose exit/return
p1010002.jpg

The original front heat exchanger. This is tiny and not very efficient (it's finned). But I was able to get it on in front of my other coolers. I have a much bigger plate style exchanger on order.
p3140065.jpg

When I have the other pics, I'll post them up in the pics/vids section... hopefully tomorrow.

So I won't have time to post up the pics and the dyno screenshot until Monday. But it got 325hp / 338tq @ 8psi.

Well I suck. I've been busy working and working on the car. I did find out that the throttle cam was hitting the clamp on the throttlebody coupler... the t/b was only opening 2/3rds. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, if any. N/A it would make a difference.

I've swapped the 7psi spring with a 5psi spring... and there wasn't a difference. I'm pretty sure the 10yr old 7psi spring isn't as springy anymore.

I also received the huge heat exchanger. I don't think I'll be able to put it on for a while, but I'll see if I can get some mock up pics. Even though it's aluminum, it's quite heavy. I'll need to make sure it's properly secured before leaving it on.

Looks like solid, well thought out mods. Very cool! Rubber isolators will help kill the sound of the IC pump. After seeing my friends truck with electric pumps for his air bags, I modified my mounting for my IC pump and it went from a trapped bee sound to a nice muffled purr.

LOL@ non-WOT TB. 2/3rd throttle on my CSVT was a tire happy zone, everything above that was tire roasting hellacious spin.

I've been having fun trying to get my car to pass emissions. With help from Nezer, ADC, and even info I got from FocalJet... I am now only pending 1 more check (catalyst)! And this is w/o any CEL's (everything has magically passed)... aside from the P1000 ;)

I surely hope so. The bottom o2's and egr was turned on... isn't the cat part from those bottom o2's?

I also forgot to mention that I've had weird boost issues... even with the last setup. It almost seemed like a boost leak when stuff got hot... I'd have too much boost when cold, then inconsistent boost when hot. The boost would vary between +2 to +5 psi. The boost spiked to 14psi last week (scary), so I was going to open the boost controller all the way up until I had a chance to troubleshoot that further. Well... the boost controller should rattle when open, and it wasn't. I removed the seized bc and I finally have consistent 6psi! I'll be replacing it so I can run 8/10psi... I have a vacuum solenoid that I'll hook up so I'm running on the 6psi spring in 1st and 2nd gear.

From my understanding ye the cat is part of it.

14 psi would scare the crap out of me too, hope you get that cleared up fast.

Ug... so I am now out of temp registrations and the cat check is still not ready. In trying to make it ready, I got a insufficient egr flow code. I cleared it, and now everything is not ready again :(

I have to get it in to boost once in a while, or I'll get the insufficient flow. If I'm in boost too much, I get excessive flow. So I've been able to moderate it pretty well... especially since it's only measuring intake pressure differential :D

I spoke to Keith at ADC this morning and he went over my emissions tune. He said everything is set properly on it -- nothing there would prohibit the cat check from completing. But after the call... I did some googling and found that the cat check utilizes the upper and lower o2's and that a failing upper o2 could cause the check to not complete. I recall getting a P0133 code a couple times during the last couple months I've been driving it. That's the firewall-side upper o2.... that's the same side that blew the head gasket before, and that o2 is probably fowled from the water/oil mix. So now I'm thinking I should get a new o2 for it... and that would make everything ready.

Though... I also read today that 1996-2000 cars are (or were) allowed to have up to 2 sensors not ready, and will still pass emissions. 2001+ can only have 1 not ready. That's because people usually have difficulty getting all sensors ready in time for emissions... especially if they had a repair as a result of a failed emissions test. I'm not sure if the new Phoenix emissions equipment will still allow 2 not ready sensors though.

So I'm going to do a drive cycle this morning... ending at autozone so I can get a new o2. I'll replace that tomorrow and do another drive cycle... ending at a shop to check if anything is still not ready. If the cat is the only one left, I'll see if I can pass emissions with that.

I'm starting to think I should just register my car at my dad's house in Prescott. There are still no emissions checks there.

EDIT: According to the Arizona Emissions site, the allowance of not ready sensors I posted above is still accurate.

Rubber isolators will help kill the sound of the IC pump. After seeing my friends truck with electric pumps for his air bags, I modified my mounting for my IC pump and it went from a trapped bee sound to a nice muffled purr.

Any chance of pics/examples? I'm going to move my tank and reservoir so I can fit my sub box behind the rear seat, and I would love to quiet up the pump.

I also received the huge heat exchanger. I don't think I'll be able to put it on for a while, but I'll see if I can get some mock up pics. Even though it's aluminum, it's quite heavy. I'll need to make sure it's properly secured before leaving it on.

If this works out for you, would you mind posting the link to where you got it from? I've always thought the FMIC was a little small, and seeing as I've been lazy about getting the car upto Keith, I guess another weekend fitting a new FMIC won't hurt :blackeye:

Back