• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"THE" Official 2010 Fall Dragon Run...Oct 7th thru 10th!

The answer is....

The answer is....

1955 Corvette with its 265, followed by the 283 w/2x4's in 56' and the F.I. 283 in 57' which had one hp per cubic inch. The 2nd and 3rd years offerings were the highest hp offerings and not the only engines offered.

Next question, name the cubic inches of the engines offered by Chevy in 65' as far as V8's:shrug:

NO cheating!

It's a 702c.i. ThunderV12. I was told it was used in the early 60's for semi trucks while GM worked out kinks in diesel program. Get this,max RPM is 2400. rated at 275 hp but 603 tq. WOW!

I'm guessing your talking about v8s. With out pulling out my motors repair manual...283, 327, 396, 409. I was conceived in the back of my moms 65' 396 SS Impala w/o any power options.

Next question...why were the 402 BB made?

Matt, your right about the CID's of the 65' Chevy V8's, the trick was the 409 ofcoarse as it made into early full-size Chevs and then came the 396's.

As far as your question about the 402 and why it was made, well, the only thing I know about the 402 is that they're left over 396's bored from the factory.

Well, as of now I heard 2 stories. 1, GM left a few pallets worth of 396 blocks in the elements. They all had to be bored to 402 to clean up the cylinders. 2, Top exects didnt want the 400 sb to have more cubes then the big block so all bored to 402. The funny part is that in 1970 many 396 blocks have 402 castings and vice versa.

I know big blocks were both. 454 being external. I just went threw this at work. SB don't know with out looking.

Next: Why did Chevy cable tie the engine to the control arms/frame? My Impala has them.

I know big blocks were both. 454 being external. I just went threw this at work. SB don't know with out looking.

Next: Why did Chevy cable tie the engine to the control arms/frame? My Impala has them.

The 454 and 400 s/b are externally balanced, check the harmonic balancer on the 400 or if you've got a car in there with a 383 stroker and its running the stock balancer.

As far as your question goes, I have no idea.

Back