• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hey guys

The Digital Slacker

Hard-core CEG'er
I recently graduated from pennstate university and am looking at what I want to do now. I've determined that I absolutly hate cold weather and I never want to see snow again. So texas seemed like the logical place to start looking. Anyone have any comments as to what you think would be good to know for something who is looking to move down to your state? Any idea how the technology jobs are down there?

I know its kinda general, but I'm just trying to get all the information I can right now... and its starting to get cold in PA.

I recently graduated from pennstate university and am looking at what I want to do now. I've determined that I absolutly hate cold weather and I never want to see snow again. So texas seemed like the logical place to start looking. Anyone have any comments as to what you think would be good to know for something who is looking to move down to your state? Any idea how the technology jobs are down there?

I know its kinda general, but I'm just trying to get all the information I can right now... and its starting to get cold in PA.

What do you want to do? What is your degree in? What can you do? What kind of experience do you have (professional)?

What I want to do... I really don't know. Something computer or network related.

I graduated with a BS in Information Sciences and Technology. As far as experience, I've done web scripting, some programming, some database work (currently working with php/access... bleh), I know all the ins and outs of windows 2k, winxp, most of the ins of server 2k3... I am fairly good with linux, i'm installing mandriva (2007) on some computers where I am volenteering, i've run gentoo linux for about a year... experience with slackware, redhat (fedora), opensuse and probably some other distro's i've forgotten. I know atleast a little about a whole ton of different stuff, so I can get stuff done. I did the cisco networking academy a bit ago, but stupidly never took the test.

Long story short, I am very good with most things computers / electronics and I pick up technology real quick ;0

What do you want to do? What is your degree in? What can you do? What kind of experience do you have (professional)?

Ditto. Dell is expanding in Austin. If it is IT, then you might want to apply with Chicago Title Co in San Antonio. Washington Mutual has also recently announced that it will headquarter in SA. The new Toyota tundra plant just opened in SA. They are also working on the new PGA Village in N. SA.

Austin's Tech market is expanding RAPIDLY.. people are leaving Silicon valley to come here.

Dell, 3M, IBM, FreeSource, TI, Samsung Semiconductor and SEVERAL others are here, and there are some BASED here now.

WAMU (Washington Mutual) IS moving its headquarters here, and having a father who is the Regional IT manager, and coordinator (highest IT lead-man for Southern US), he will be the guy in charge in SA (where he currently works as it is)

If THAT is the area you are looking at, let me know.. I'll see what I can do!

Austin, San Antonio, or along I-35 between the two, is a great place.

Further North, in Dallas or Fort Worth is slightly more congested, but the cost of living isn't (imho) justified for what the city offers along a tech basis.

Check out Austin. it is one of THE funkiest, hip, music loving towns with a twist of tech that there is. (all of downtown has free wireless.. downtown-wide, etc)

Last edited:
Back