• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What would you pay?

95Mike

CEG'er
Hey guys, I'm thinking about selling the svt but need a little input. My car is a 2000 red/tan 145k.

Good:
65k on '04 Taurus port matched 3.0, solid motor mounts, torsen diff, clevite bearings, msds headers, sho y-pipe, bassani exhaust, dmd, intake with heat shield, 65mm throttle body, hid headlights, mystique rear dome, dash clock, massive stereo, short shift kit, stock suspension and brakes

Bad:
some scratches here and there, couple nicks in the rear door panels, one missing jack point cover, cv joint been leaking a while, suspension pretty soft.

The car runs very strong and has a sound drivetrain. The 22mpg has been bothering me lately and I'm thinking of selling to get a 90's civic hatchback or 200sx (40mpg). My only issue is I would consider that a major downgrade vehicle wise and would want some cash left over. I just don't know if I could get more than 2500 for her. I'd plan on spending 2k on my new commuter and don't really have the parking space to have both. Anyone sold or bought an svt around here lately?

Should be able to get $2500 for it pretty quickly. Only reason not to get that would be if the rockers are rusted. If rockers arent rusted i would start at $3500 on craigslist and go down from there.

Yeah no rust here in the pacific northwest. I find vehicles are more spendy (along with just about everything else) here in western Washington than other parts of the country. The only svt on craigslist right now is a 98 silver with 110k for $5k at a used lot.

Contour market is soft here in the PNW. Good luck getting more that $3k for her, based on condition you describe. Always start high and come down as desired/necessary to secure a sale. Of course if you can find an enthusiast who is "informed", you might do better on the price.
Dealer pricing is not realistic - just a data point. I recall a very nice 1999 at a dealership in Eugene (Kendall Ford late last year/early this year) - was on his lot for over 6 months - started at $8k and sold it for $4200. Had just over 100k miles; very clean.

I bought mine for 3700 I think... But I really wanted an SVT Contour and there weren't many options, and that feisty old man I bought it from wouldn't budge on price lol! I mean that with love, Bill (contour_r_us)!

Living in NY, I would pay a premium for a rust free car. $3000 would be a good finishing number, try $3500 to start.

I always look at total cost of changeout before I take it seriously. I am assuming the cost of the car is not important here. But, you would have to pay sales tax when you register the new car, right? In NYS, taxes would be >$300 on a $4k car. Plus new registration and title fee (another $100, bunch of BS). Well, in my mind that $400 eats into the mpg savings. If you are truely getting 40 mpg with the new car, and 22 mpg with the contour, and if you drove it 200 miles a week, it would take 6 months before you could claim the mpg savings.

Just food for thought. I have done the same calcs and still sold the old car and bought the new. Sometimes a change is worth it. Just don't confuse the issue with mpg's.

Last edited:
95Mike,
O'l pal, I'd be more concerned about why you are getting only 22mpg. Just figure it out and keep the SVT. You should get over 32mpg..... IMO

My 2 cents,
AF

Back