• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's up in the NW?

Jbalch

CEG'er
Hey everyone... Pretty quiet in here. How's everyone's 'tour doing now that winter is almost officially over?

Mine is running well. I'm still trying to track down an oil leak and a water leak in the trunk. I also may need to replace the IMRC with the one Bill has since mine's being a bit annoying at times. I am looking forward to the meet up next month! :cool:

Good. I washed it the other day .. I had forgotten what black had looked like! She's still chugging along. I dont use 3rd much more unless I have to. Contour_R_us has a used one that Ill pick up here soon and at some point get it replaced. Did you get the trunk leak fixed? I need to do that, sometimes I have puddle under the tire :( that and trunk shocks. ...if its not one thing..

Don't give up on her! LOL I will be fixing the leak this week with the nice weather we are having here hopefully! Not sure where you are doing the transmission swap but if I'm around I'd love to help if you need it! probably an entire engine pull for that swap though... Could be "fun"!

haha Thanks! Yea ContourRUS actually said some of the Portland people would be down to help me out w the trans swap provided I take care of food and drink and some contour stories. I'm in the process of getting the trans now and hopefully go from there.

Workin on cars w guys who like working on cars and its a contour? How could that not be fun. Hope your able to lend a hand!

Hey Satya - Yes, let us know when you have that trans in your hands and we will setup a "gathering" of folks, hopefully soon. Everybody seems to get so busy with the change in the weather.

Sounds to me like we need to find a better meeting place for our next meetup and all spend some time getting our hands dirty! That sounds like a good meet up to me! Satya, how's 5th gear? LOL maybe you could head down this way and we can find a garage! It would be awesome to work on Contours at a meet! and this one sounds like it needs a major job done!

Jerry - you nailed it!!! As I understand it, Satya is purchasing a used SVT mtx from a friend of mine (local to him). Satya and I talked about bringing his ride and this mtx our way, for this very thing you speak of. What does everyone say to this?

Sounded like he was planning on it. He's worried that the issue will cause more problems in his transmission in the mean time though. I told him to get in touch with Terry to find out if it will cause issues with the other gears.

Jerry - good advice; Satya has already spoke to Terry over on the FCO site, as you probably know. Of course this is not a "self healing" MTX, so things can only go worse over time and miles. The big risk is if a larger piece of metal breaks from one of the dogs or a gear tooth snaps, then you have a potential time bomb moving around inside, though it may settle to the bottom and not cause any further issues. I wouldn't risk it myself.

I also have Satya speaking to a good friend of mine that is an instructor at the Vo-Tec in Everett, Wa. I have been helping Richie part out a fellow instructors '98 SVT E0 for almost 3 yrs now (threw rod). Richie has the MTX-75 from this SVT and is willing to give a 100% return of Satya's $$$ within approximately 45 days of install. A warranty this good is unheard of. Satya's concern is 1) condition of this used MTX-75 which is addressed by said warranty and 2) how to get it installed ASAP. The latter is where we come into play ;-)

Some of the local Portland guys did like 5 transmission drop outs in 4 weekends a few summers ago. Aussie and Shotwell probably got to doing drops in their sleep (nightmares?) and Shotwell has been inside a transmission (See, I evaded the stock joke. If I'd gone there, Mike would take his special Ford tool BFH to my skull) Timing for their availability (they are BUSY guys with lives) and a garage with a lift are key.

I still wanna open a combination B&B and garage with a lift for Contour owners getting work done, camping close to their car while working on it. Add some BBQ and cold microbrews...

Indeed. I even still have transmission parts left over from the last teardown...I'll have to find the box of goodies.

Replaced trunk struts recently and did find a bit of dampness on the right side. This is first I've seen of this, but I never would have noticed if not for the strut repair. Do these cars all leak a little?

Replaced trunk struts recently and did find a bit of dampness on the right side. This is first I've seen of this, but I never would have noticed if not for the strut repair. Do these cars all leak a little?

Well it sure appears that they leak!! I was able to fix mine A-OK - see post in the forum "Water In Trunk" that I posted. Body seam sealer was the ticket for me. Factory body seam sealer had dried up, and with chassis flex, I suspect opened them up. These seams are in the area of the rear tails.

I am back on the road - the MSD coil was dead!!! Only when it was rainy, wet or damp out - no spark!! Swapped the FORD OEM coil back in and PROBLEM GONE!!! Clear warning here regarding aftermarket parts!!

Anyone got a driver side window regulator/motor? mine is grinding like crazy and I cant move the window up. I'm going to have a few cold mornings here. Trying to get this swapped out asap. Thanks

Back