• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thank you to the Jarhead

PDXSVT

Veteran CEG'er
A handful of you have met Aussie Ford's son, frequently spotted helping wrench on Contours at Shortyman's garage in Portland. I missed out of it while grilling last summer, but some of the Contour-familiar guys are doing an OK job of bringing him along. Finishing up today, he spent a chunk of time on his days off from work pulling my starter, u pulling another starter, and installing the u pulled part in my daily driver. Also changed out a TPS to see if that helps my high idle issue. Thank you, Jarhead.
(PS: He had AF available as a consultant by phone and maybe borrowed a tool or two of his. Thank you, Aussie)

When are we doing some kind of little local meet? Beer abnd pizza with a college hoops tourney in the background? Or bolts on the floor, a car in the air?

Hello y’all, I just pulled my starter & water pump a few nights ago, this will be my third water pump in less than 6yrs. First 2 have been bought at dealership & replaced by them. I’m now going to go to local parts store and do it myself. Is this common with 99’ SVT to go thru this many in a short time? Or do I need to get a heavy duty water pump if there is such athing? Or is there something I need to do to keep it from going bad? It’s been well maintained on a regular schedule.

Thanks,

SVTZilla - you can get the metal impellar water pump as opposed to the plastic one that supposedly breaks more often.. Thats all I know.

PDX- Id be down to come down from Seattle and kick it. I have a pair of roll resistors that need to be replaced :D they are just sitting in my room atm Love to meet up with some other SVT'ers

Gents, When changing the water pump...... was the whole assembly changed or just the pump? Usually eventhe plastic ones last longer than what has been going on with yours. The question about the assembly is due to the forcing cone inside the housing. It is steaked in place and can come loose, causes loss of efficiency and could damage the impeller. Usually the water pumps last quite a while - 120k+ miles.

Good to see a couple of new members, we do need to have a meet soon, and I hope to see you there.

AF

that same thing happened to my wp also, the cone came loose car never overheated but the weep hole started leaking

Back