• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Time for clutches in the NW

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Well folks, we are planning on having several work meets while doing at least 4 clutches here in portland. Please check other site or PM me for details.

While the main focus will be the clutches (Jahead's, Shortyman's, Woogieman's, and mine) we expect to do a bunch of other mods as well. So if you have something that needs doing this is the time to get it done. The work will take place at Shortyman's shop where we did PDXSVT's when we had all that crap about finding a clutch on short notice.....

Anyway we look to have some good times and you are welcome to join us to tinker, gab, hang out, and have grub.

AF

It's easily been 9 years since I had a used quaife installed by TH. Buying one new might get you a lifetime warranty that includes racing, but with how I used my rig during racing, I doubt there's any risk of a properly done quaife going bad before some other weaker link.

IF "someone" wants to do an install of a used quaife this summer, I'd check with TH about shims, races and various other parts that might be necessary to install one. IIRC, Mike had his shipped to TH also. Putting a quaife equipped transaxle in, while changing a clutch/flywheel, sounds like efficient use of time while having a front subframe out.

How's that for encouragement, Aussie?

And has anyone got a quote from Darrell's for a 2 inlet 1 outlet cat and doing a copycat of a BAT y pipe?

Well the first one is done and Jarhead is back on the road....... The LUK clutch kit we installed looked real good. BTW the original one was a Sachs. We are doing my 99 SVT this weekend same place 1623 SE 6th. here in portland. Went to get that same clutch kit and they were out, so I have another source and will have an original Sachs friday morning ready to go.

Rob I'd be happy to add you to the list my friend.
Da problem..jpgSupport Team..jpg
Finally getn to &#119.jpgInstall 7..jpg
Install 6..jpg

Springs failed in that clutch too?

attachment.php

Notice the difference between the new SVT flywheel and the old standard one. The difference is clear and Jarhead says he can tell an improvement in performance. And that has been a very fine running SE as it was.

SVT flywheel & LU&#7.jpg

Look'n forward to seeing what that aluminum Fidanza will be like. :laugh:

AF

You're likely to notice your car revving quicker in 1st and 2nd. BTW, you want to keep putting in parts like you're prepping it for PIR?
Twisties or drags?

AF - too funny!!! I am currently driving a 2012 rental Ford Fusion SE with the 3.0 V6. Has a power to weight ratio that is sweet......still doesn't help with rush hour. Maybe it's the driver??? LOL

So are you going to stop by this weekend?
We are doing the prep work on it tonight after work, then we'll be ready to hit it hard tomorrow.

AF

Awesome job guys. Don't know if you finished or not last night. But I know you were close. Let me know who's is up next and when and I will try to help out again. (Depending on work schedule)

Thanks for the digital manuals Aussie

We had a good turn out of friends on Saturday, PDXSVT again came by with the grill and russeled up some execellant grub.
Satruday support&#32.jpg

I have come to believe every job has its own difficulties. While things were going smooth the pass-side axle was stubborn to remove. Shortyman fashioned an axle removal tool which is now part of my collection. Axle remvl tool..jpg

The job flowed along fine and when we got the tranny out we found a LUK kit in it. It was the same one we were installing but this had Ford and SVT on it. It was in very good condition and has perhaps another 10k on it. The clutch was not the problem with my car it really was the TOB. At times it would partially release and at a stop the car would try to creep forward. Woogieman got to use the secret Ford tool to remove the line to the TOB.
Secret Ford tool..jpg

While we got th clutch change out and mostly everything back together there were a few things left to do. Jarhead rounded a bolt head and twisted off the end of an 3/8 extention. When that happened he smacked himself right between the eyes......... we patched him up and called it a day..... Some clean up stuff to on Sunday.

Victum..jpg quit'n time 2..jpg

The kits are on the way,Scheduled Delivery: Tuesday, 07/10/2012, By End of Day
Ontario, CA, United States
07/06/2012
12:56 P.M.
Departure Scan

07/06/2012
8:56 A.M.
Arrival Scan
Sylmar, CA, United States
07/06/2012
7:43 A.M.
Departure Scan

07/06/2012
1:02 A.M.
Arrival Scan
San Bernardino, CA, United States
07/05/2012
11:09 P.M.
Departure Scan

07/05/2012
7:46 P.M.
Origin Scan
United States
07/05/2012
11:08 P.M.
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

And the flywheel out of my 99 SVT has been resurfaced:
reconditioned fl&#.jpg

AF

The kits came in and it looks like RobFresh2SVTs is going to be next starting this Friday evening.
the right kit..jpgthey arrived..jpg

With the great deal we got on the kits here is a brake down of the costs:
LUK Clutch Kit - $150.00
Resurface flywheel @ NAPA - $31.00
Pair of hub nuts from stealership - $27.50
Axle "C" clip from stealership - $4
Total - $212.50

+ your labor and support from your friends...... :cool:

AF

Well the Nw gang really got after it last Friday, Saturday, And Sunday. I give much thanks to Aussie, Steve, Randy, Woogieman, and the rest of the guys who showed up for moral support. Bob Made some great burgers. We had some trouble with some bolts on the subframe which took most of the time spent on the vehicle. As most of you know that car came from jersey. Her new nickname is Snookie.

Aussie did a great job finding those clutch kits. If it wasn't for Steve and Him. I still would have been under the impression that something was wrong with the engine. Well there is nothing wrong with the engine. All it needed was a new clutch. I am very grateful for you guys taking time away from your families to help me out. The car runs Great. You guys are awesome

Back