• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shift cable ends

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
While I was having a new key made and programmed, I did some checking at the parts counter of the stealership. Shortyman was having a problem with his shift cable end and we know this is an on going problem. I inquired about the availability of new ends and at first the fellow said you needed to get the whole cables. Upon further questioning he came up with just the ends.

White (which I see broken most often) F7RZ 7412AA $13.59 $12.35 @ Courtsey Ford.
Black XS8Z 7412GA $12.16

If your in the area see Mike Amato @ Gresham Ford and tell him you got the info from this site, as I told him I was posting this info. They are special order but only take a day or two to get in.

Anyone got a line on where to find a fob? (other than stealership that is)
AF

i had a problem with this cable end also me and svtroy just used a hose clamp to hold it on since its the ruber that wares out and then alowes it to fall off ! i was stuck in 3rd gear for 15 miles before i got home and found this was what broke . ford told me there was only about 10 left and after that there well be no more to buy ever ): so i ordered up one for my car and 2 for back stock

i had a problem with this cable end also me and svtroy just used a hose clamp to hold it on since its the ruber that wares out and then alowes it to fall off ! i was stuck in 3rd gear for 15 miles before i got home and found this was what broke . ford told me there was only about 10 left and after that there well be no more to buy ever ): so i ordered up one for my car and 2 for back stock
I called duder to order one and he was saying it wouldn't work for my 99? Ill try Aussies parts info and see what I can dig up.

Oh and Justin, after an act of Congress and schedule conflicts, we might be able to get you that short throw lol

01-09-11_1312..jpg01-09-11_1236..jpg01-09-11_1237..jpg01-09-11_1238..jpg01-09-11_1239..jpg

UP DATE ON PART#'s and cost:

White F7RZ 7412AA $12.35 @ Courtsey Ford.
Black XS8Z 7412GA $11.05 @ Courtsey Ford.

I just ordered the black one last night. No one will have it on hand, and as you can see I got different prices at different stealerships. Team Ford has even different prices that are lower but when you add in the shipping it all works out the same. The fellow I ordered through didn't seem to think there was a problem with supply.

AF

I AM POSTING THIS TO LET YOU ALL KNOW blackzilla IS A SQUARE GUY! Thank you my friend.

In case anyone is reading this and needs to know how a deal should be done.......

blackzilla and I have come to an agreement, so thanks buddy it will most likely be a week before it shows up, and happy new year to all.

AF

blackzilla said:
Aussie Ford said:
Thanks for asking but sadly no it has not arrived.

AF

dude thats bull crap, I hate usps now, I guess thats what I get for shipping it in an envelope and not in a box, tell you what though, if it still hasn't arrived by next friday I will buy another one for you and have it shipped to your place, I just don't wanna see you get screwed.

blackzilla

blackzilla that is very kind of you, but not necessary....... It arrived in yesterdays mail. The issue is there is $.78 postage due since it is over 1oz.

I think that is the cause of the delay and I am surprised that it actually arrived since usually they return it to the sender.

I opened it up (it was already almost apart) and the first thing I saw was the batteries while 3v were different and neither was the correct one. They were different heights and I'd bet were not making proper contact. I checked them, they were reading 3v on the meter. Next I checked and adjusted the contacts. They were compressed and not touching where they needed to on the circuit board. Most likely out of adjustment due to the batteries.

A little tweaking, some elbow grease, and a trip to WalMart for batteries, it is at least ready to try to program. :laugh:

That will have to wait until the weekend when I may have some time available and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Now you know my secret, I'm a fair weather Tour Tinkerer........... LOL

Regards,
AF

I was searching around a bit on shift cable ends, found this older thread, http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?25571-Focus-shift-tower-cable-ends-for-98-MTX75

And in it some good info from Bill J at Team Ford.
For future reference, the cables are XS7Z-7E395-AB, This is the newer style. If you have a Focus Tower you will also need 2S4Z-7412-AA and 2S4Z-7412-BA. These will fit a Focus tower with a Contour/Cougar that has the new style cables.

Breakdown:
Cable ends for stock MTX75 transmission from 1998 to 04/01/1999,
F7RZ-7412-AA (WHITE)
XS8Z-7412-GA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus Tower with old style cables,
YS4Z-7412-HA (WHITE)
YS4Z-7412-JA (BLACK)
If you add a Focus tower with newer style cables,
2S4Z-7412-AA (WHITE)
2S4Z-7412-BA (BLACK)

If you have a 04/01/1999 to 2002 Contour/Cougar with a stock cables, the ends only come with a new cable.

I'm having some shift cable issues, and my CSVT is 4/22/1999 production, so I probably need the newer cables, XS7Z-7E395-AB, which have non-replaceable ends, but I'm going to crawl under and check, just to be sure, my years as an engineer at Ford taught me that B&A production change-over dates aren't always hard and fast..

How sure are we of the 4/1/99 date for the change in shift cable ends? We're about to find out... Mine was built 3/31/99. I hope it's the early ones because thats what the shop ordered...

It's called maintenance.... These parts are plastic and they move... That means they wear I'm just glad Ford still has them. That's what I told my Jarhead last weekend when he changed the white cable end on his 99 SE.

06-25-11_1902..jpg
You see that small bump inside the hole... there is a similar bump on the cable end that fits in there. These hold it in place and I found when taking it apart a squirt of WD40 will help get them past each other. Other wise it is a PIA.

06-25-11_1904..jpg
You can see how the center is worn away this causes sloppy shifts and can lead to major tranny problems. The orange retainer is pushed in and locked this is the release position. When the cable is inserted you release it by pushing the white plastic lock tab in the top center.

06-25-11_1903..jpg
The orange jaws are what grab the end of the cable and hold it tight once lock tab is released. It is important to have help doing this job if you don't have the special Ford tool to hold the shifter in the exact center. Once the part is off the tranny check to see that the shift arm is in the neutral position. Have your helper pop out the shifter boot retainer so they can see, and hold the shifter in the exact center. Then release the locking tab.

06-25-11_1857..jpg
Glad to be done with it.... only about 20 minutes start to finish. These should be looked at when you change your oil. Especially if your shifter is feeling looser than normal.

AF

Back