• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ah, the Joys of new struts

sweet, where are the pics!!!! We like pics:cool:

No pics, as I thought svtd00d did a credible job here: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=624499&postcount=12. The only different method from my rear install was getting the strut tab up onto the rear crossmember. I actually tried svtd00d's method and it almost pulled the car up off the jackstands. So I set my strut on top of the knuckle, got my jack under the rear drum brake and jacked the assembly up into place, and then a good swift shove with a foot set it onto the tab. Then I could lower the jack, reposition, and jack the lower knuckle up into place to fit the pinch bolt. La viola'.

As for the broken bolt on the sway bar bushing tab, I decided that if I drilled it out and tapped in the next larger size bolt (12mm diameter instead of 10mm diameter) then I'd have two different bolts in the corrresponding places underneath. So I just drilled for a new 10mm bolt, got a longer one at the industrial hardware place, and put a nut/lock washer on top so the only real difference is one side is held by a captive nut, and one side by a nut & lockwasher. But both use 13mm hex head wrenches so that'll ease some confusion.

I was so happy I gave the gal a handwash and wax today.

Back