• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ah, the Joys of new struts

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
Finally had some decent weather up here in the Great Land and got my front struts replaced. In fact, I got new struts (Monroe SensaTrack since this is a simple DD), new coil springs (one was broken and resting on the brake line, hence the need for this project), new front sway bar links, new tie rod ends. New ball joints and lower control arms would have made it a complete project but those seemed to be in decent shape. Odd that the Haynes book and Ford CD both don't mention removing the front knuckle to install the new struts.... there's just a quick "slip it into the knuckle and then position the top in the strut tower".... Uh uh.....can't be done that way. The first one was a biyatch and had me vexed until I did some searching and found the correct procedure. The second one went in like a charm. Tie rod end jam nuts were rusted solid to the tie rod ends so a sawzall took care of them and then the tie rod ends spun off like day 1.

So I need a front end alignment, as the steering wheel is off "flat" from all this work, but I'll wait until I replace the rear struts and coil springs (another thread here).

What did I learn from all this?

• Do my searching first, and be absolutley sure of the procedure.
  • Don't ever tell the wife that she's plenty heavy enough to push down on the lower control arm so I can swing the strut/knuckle into position (even if she IS!). Bad karma points there folks ....
Anyway, new front end. New rear end coming after a week-long business trip .....

Nice work getting the job done:cool: How does she feel now? I am waiting on struts and springs in the mail. I am not as brave as you and will be having my ''DUDE'' do them. Try to take pics when you do the rear, us dummies like em:laugh:

How does she feel now? Try to take pics when you do the rear, us dummies like em...

She drives much better. Going over one of the many, many winter-result potholes around here results in a smooth bump now, instead of a solid "thunk". Rears come next and are supposed to be a lot easier...... (probably "famous last words" :crazy:) I have new rear struts (SPAX from BAT), new rear coil springs, new rear sway bar end links and sway bar bushings......

In short this'll be a complete suspension job. Good for (a) workjing out stress, and (b) something to do when the missus tosses me outta the house.....:laugh:

Finally got my Euro kit:cool:

Getting it slapped in this weekend i hope.........Whens the next meet? My car is almost ready:shocked:

Nice!!!

I as well am getting ready to replace all front end tie rods, front sway bar links, and struts (KYB GR2's), then alignment. After all that she should be riding like brand new! I'm the 3rd owner & it has 98k miles on it. Changed the oil 2day & replaced trans fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh & it feels much smoother!

Also have a BAT 21mm RSB with fresh bushings and the upgraded RSB endlinks I bought off a member here. These will be installed at the same time as everything above. Cant wait!!!

You guys are making me awful jealous! I'd love to spend money on go fast parts for my SVT, but I've fallen WAY behind on maintenance. Now to top it off I need an alternator.

A BAT kit is definitely in my future though.

You guys are making me awful jealous! I'd love to spend money on go fast parts for my SVT, but I've fallen WAY behind on maintenance. Now to top it off I need an alternator.

A BAT kit is definitely in my future though.

I may have gotten ahead of myself now i have engine noises coming from the timing cover area(left side? correct?). It sounds like whining? Does the timing have a belt or chai, and does it make noise before it goes? And the lifter or injector tick, the tick noise is posted in a video in the trouble shooting forums. I need to make on for the whining, i cut some couplers down to fit PUD's heat shield and had a loud loud whine and then it was gone? A few weeks later it came back for 2 min then again gone? Not its faint but i can hear it getting louder and it seems to coming from the timing stuff...........I may have to sell the 98 i have in the garage to get a 3L???

Oh but the BAT kit feels AMAZING! I didnt even get to give a proper test im trying to take it easy until it all settles and seats properly.

Today is rear end day: I got both rear struts out (one had a broken coil spring also, same side as the front), both sway bar bushings replaced, both sway bar links replaced but so far only one strut (Sachs) installed as it just started raining and hailing on my dumb arse.

I also broke one of the sway bar bushing retaining tab bolts. I have that drilled out, but I'll need to either tap it to the next size larger or put a backing bolt on top instead of the welded captive nut.

Any ideas as to the best repair for that?

Just road tested the gal. Man, new struts font and rear. Sweet! Gone is the Titanic-roll effect on turns (new sway bar bushings), gone is the loose-tool-box-in-the-trunk sound effects (new rear sway bar links), ride height is restored (one broken coil spring each front and rear) and even improved as the rear sits higher now.

Very satisfying DIY project .....

Back