• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Grrrrrrr

Humboldtkill

CEG'er
I hope to have my car running good in time for the meet. I enjoyed the last WA/OR bullrun/meet. As of now,(p0174) Bank 2 lean. My SVT is throwing that single, solitary code. I'm trying to decide whether to focus on the O2 sensor or a vacuum leak. My tour has died 3 times after the code appeared and once 2 miles before the code, at idle and stopped at a light, flat surfaces also no inclines. So it only seems to happen when the car is fully warmed up so could that be an indacation that the upper O2 sensors are bad? I changed the lowers 9k ago, left the uppers alone. Car has 90k on her. And being this happened 2 day after getting the MSDS headers, Ypipe and Xcal tune. So that seems to be another nudge that the uppers need replaced. Any thoughts?

EDIT only other change was a set of NGK iridium plugs.

I think you need to ask the tune shop that exact same thing. I can't imagine an O2 sensor causing the car to die.

I will shoot them an email and see what they say. I dont know how to tell them this was never a prob until i got my car back from the shop, without trying to blame them or flame there work? If it is the O2's and not a vac leak then why would the car die when at idle and when warm? They had to take a bunch of stuff(vac lines) to install the headers ,but i cant just point and blame. How would they go about finding the leak? I heard spray starting fluid all around the motor but i dont want that crap all over, then i heard use propane? EEK! Does the addition of the headers/ypipe and xcal require the idle to be raised, that may cause it to die? It seems the same as always though. One more fact is i got 179 miles from a full tank:shrug: I almost ran it dry dry although it never stumbled but it was the lowest i ever had her. The light came on at 179 i didnt fill it yet and its now at 186, anyway i must check what the tank holds but it doesnt seem to be adding up?

Did you instal MIL elims. when you installed the headers?
-tropictour

No i have no mils, from my understanding the SCT xcal tune pretty much deleted the lower O2 sensors, and seemed true being that my p0420 code was erased and never came back. As for the uppers im under the impression mils wont work?

One thing to remember is when an o2 sensor is removed and reinstalled they can be damaged easily. If your old one was bumped or dropped when it was removed and reinstalled in your headders this could be the cause of the issue...... Just a thought.

Possible solution to the P0174:

Check under the IMRC cover. There's a ventilation tube that runs from the valve cover to the intake accordian tube. Mine was completely dis-integrated at the elbow above the valve cover. Put a fresh bit of tubing on and the code is gone, never to return.

I pulled the cover off and the tube was sitting next to the the nipple yes i said it. It was not even hooked back up. Im very pissed off with the shop i got the work done at. They took all that off to do the headers so...I will not say who they are again untill i speak with them. I will see what they will do to make me feel better. I have been sucking in dirty air straight into my TB correct?

I have yet to do a full drive cycle but i am hopefull, thank you kind sir......Im crossing my fingers and toes and let me tell you thats not easy when your driving.

Back