• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

water leak in door

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
For a while I've been dealing with this leak at the drivers door.
01-06-09_0803.jpg
I replaced door gaskets, tried to find where it could possibily be coming in... to the point that I finall opened up the door and found someone had plugged up the drain in the bottom of the door. They had sealed everyting it was really messed up the way they did it. I removed all their work and hey no leak.... :laugh:

I also found that it had had a window replaced..... you never get ALL the glass out.

There is always something new to learn about a used car!

Oh my word ive had that same exact problem with my car... I couldnt figure where it was running down the seal, so i cut a small hole in it to drain outside, and that also seemed to work for me..

I had that problem with the Honda Civic SI I used to have. Except it was the sunroof. I would turn a corner after my car sat in the rain for a bit and cold water would dump down the back of my neck.

Talk about a quick jolt to the system on a cold winter morning.

Of course I'm not satisfied with just getting it to stop running inside I want to know where it is coming in from and why. WHat seems to happen is it comes in the door and gets onto the the wire for the power mirrors then drips off at the bend where the wire comes through the hole and to the inside face of the door. Then the water drips down and hits the bottom of the opening and runs both inside the door and on the outside of the door. In the first pic below you can see some of the crap still stuck inside of the door. In the other you can see the wiring where it drips from. Notice how ALL the holes in the door have been taped over........ WTF I hate to follow behind stupid people......
door bottom.jpg
holes covered.jpg

ahhh ha i took my door panels off and dirt had just clogged the holes. So i just cleaned them out and presto it doesnt leak! thanks aussie

Well heres a problem that just started for me... Started up after the first big freeze, my trunk isnt opening correctly now.. i have to pull the lever the whole time while someone trys to open it... And if i use the wireless key opener i have to time it just right, otherwise it wont open... Any ideas ?:shrug:

Well heres a problem that just started for me... Started up after the first big freeze, my trunk isnt opening correctly now.. i have to pull the lever the whole time while someone trys to open it... And if i use the wireless key opener i have to time it just right, otherwise it wont open... Any ideas ?:shrug:

Yes the latch is out of adjustment. Just needs a little tweek....

For a while I've been dealing with this leak at the drivers door.
View attachment 3966
I replaced door gaskets, tried to find where it could possibily be coming in...

Have the same issue but only when we get alot of rain. I thought it was the door gasket myself, but didn't do anything yet. Thanks for posting this.

Back