• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What a weekend

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
What a weekend.
It all started about a month ago when I got a CEL in my 99. The scan showed code P0174 indicating an o2 sensor. Then I also had to do my LCA’s so I did them first and didn’t think about doing the sensor when I had the car in the air for them….. must have been the gray hair… LOL

Finally last week I did the sensor and the CEL didn’t go out, so I did another scan and got the dreaded P0171 & P0174 which meant I had to change the LIM & UIM gaskets. That should always include a thorough cleaning of them too which is always messy. In the end my dash is now boring again no little orange lights on….. :laugh:

That was Saturday, on Sunday I tackled the issue my 95 had, it was now firing on all 4, so I started with a compression test. At first it looked like I had a bad cylinder but I tested everything three times at least #1 – 185, #2 – 178, #3 – 170, #4 – 168. Not too bad over all. I had changed the plugs and wires, so I ruled them out. Didn’t have the stuff to do a leak down test so :idea: I just figured I’d head to the JY and pick up a new (used) coil pack to rule that out too. Since all of them are the same I grabbed on from a 99. Installed it an problem solved. I actually didn’t think that would do it since I didn’t know that only one position could go bad on a CP. I always figured it either worked or it didn’t….. Guess I got smarter….. :cool:

In the mean time my Bride has been driving my truck and she just happened to mention that there is this funny lighted thing on it’s dash too. That turned out to be the CEL and it now needs an o2 sensor….:nonono: The question is, IS THERE EVER AN END TO THIS STUFF???? All this work (because it needs doing) and I’ve got serious tinkering to do! :)

AF

No, there's no end.

My SVT also needs LIM and UIM gaskets. Needs coolant hoses too. I still have to be ginger with 4th. At least I have a decent shift knob!

My diesel Golf needs glow plugs.

My diesel truck needs a glow plug or two as well. U joints are getting noisy, but not loose yet.

My Mercedes diesel needs more work than I can list. Got to do that valve adjust!

My Monte Carlo just needs to be driven more, lol. If I could only afford the gas!

All of that madness is aside from my other hobbies, like fixing my friends cars, their friends cars, and other cars that just randomly appear! Currently I have the heads off a '97 Chev truck. It's a 350 vortec that got just a little too hot. Meh

So I'm working on the 25th hour of the day. Once that's all straight I'm going to create the 8th day of the week, if I'm not working on cloning myself.

Back