• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LCA's & Alignment World in PDX

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Last weekend I replaced my LCA's oh what fun that was. Only five bolts a side and a bit-o-this&that to get the bolts out and the new arms in.....:crazy: I think my favorite part was the inserting the ball joint stud into the hub. I did enjoy cutting that one bolt, on the driver's side, off a bit too much. I think revenge was setting in at that point.... :laugh:

On the recommendation of a buddy (fellow cheap SOB) that owns an older Lexus I took my Tour to Alignment World for a 4 wheel alignment yesterday. They seemed to have state of the art equipment, did the job in less than 1/2 hr and for $40 I'm satisfied with the service. They got me right in no waiting, but my friend said when he was there they had a line of cars to do.

Alignment World
11858 NE Halsey St.
Portland, OR 97230

503-788-5537
503-442-2559

AF

Not a bad price at all. I paid 60 for mine maybe 70, Hendersons Auto in Tigard. But they were only 2 blocks away.

P.S. check in the new member classroom for a thread called, new Aussie here. Gotta see his user name. For the others reading this, my name is Troy,this will make sense when you see it.

Not bad at all. I used a cordless sawzall with a new blade and it zipped right through it. Then used red lock tite to put it back together and since the bolt sticks about 1/2 - 5/8" above the lock nut I wacked that off too. Just left about 1 thread above the lock ring to ensure proper clearence to the tranny. Then touched it up nice with a file.... didn't really have to file it. :cool:

AF

So the trick is to cut off part of the bottom and then install it backwards? I guess you wouldnt need to install it upside down if it came out from the top though.

NO what you do is remove the nut, then raise up the bolt as much as you can. Now in my case the bolt was still tight in the hole and stayed in place, so I just took my sawzall and cut off the head. Once the head is off you just pull the shank out through the bottom.

When reinstalling this bolt push it in from the bottom and put the nut on top. I added a drop of red loc tite and torqued it to 96 lbs. Then cut off most of what was sticking out from the top of the nut. That gives as much clearence as possible to the end of the tranny.

Back