• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contours in Snow

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
My first winter with the 'tour and I gotta admit that snow slides off this thing easier than any other car, including the wife's Suby. A nice easy sweep job each AM and it's all gone. We're up to 134" of snow so far this year so believe me that DOES make a difference. Got a nice strong powerful rear window defogger too that makes short work of anything left on the rear window.

So, all in all, those are a few things that Ford got very right when they made these.

I agree. It handles quite well in the snow too, for a front drive. I took a 1500 mile trip this weekend which went over several major mountain passes in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. I still have my summer S03 Pole Position tires mounted! Lots of snow, no problems. Had the tire cables just in case though!

I think my Contiques have handled Ottawa winters better than most cars -- and I use all season tires. My 95 Contour got me through many brutal snow storms.

My only complaint is that Duratecs take forever to warm up.

My only complaint is that Duratecs take forever to warm up.

There's a consideration..... my Zetec warms up much faster than my Ram 1500. She's a sweet lil' en-gine. So far as snow tires, I have studded tires on since I always keep a summer-set and a winter-set but almost all of the studs are gone since they're the new eco-friendly (translate: less harm to roads since DOT never does road maintenance anyway, but no better grip than all-seasons) studs. I've yet to slip and slide in the 'tour and the SUVs fill our ditches most mornings....

I would ask one question though, and that is: Does any, and I mean any American car manufacturer know how to make a car that doesn dump snow directly on the seats when you open a door to get out your snow brush/scraper?

Had the tire cables just in case though!

I thought cables didn't fit on our cars??

So far, so good on the BFG Winter Slaloms. Just don't ask me to plow through 20" of snow!

Scorpion8: you need to anticipate the snow and leave the brush on the outside of the car! (That's what I do, anyway.)

Cables will fit, but you have to buy EXACTLY the right size. Otherwise you will beat up your fenders and side skirts. I went over Donner Pass in CA in the dead of December 2002 just before they closed it for mass snow. It was ugly, but I made it.

Since then I got the limited slip installed. That really helps a lot. In 2003 when Vancouver was snowed in for 5 days I put on the cables...I was unstoppable!

Scorpion8: you need to anticipate the snow and leave the brush on the outside of the car! (That's what I do, anyway.)

Except that once the brush part freezes solid with snow, snain, and sleet it's completely unuseable. I keep it in the back seat so when the door opens (even reeeeeeeal gently) and some snow drops in at least it's not where I'm sitting.

Cables will fit, but you have to buy EXACTLY the right size. Otherwise you will beat up your fenders and side skirts. I went over Donner Pass in CA in the dead of December 2002 just before they closed it for mass snow. It was ugly, but I made it.

Since then I got the limited slip installed. That really helps a lot. In 2003 when Vancouver was snowed in for 5 days I put on the cables...I was unstoppable!

Talk to PDXSVT about ground clearance and drifts....... :nonono:

Ground clearance and drifts?? After a couple-days storm, I got stuck in a almost level slight uphill parking lot where the snow was over? a foot deep, maybe drifted a little deeper, with rainy mist on top of that to dense it up, with the quaife but no cables on. Jackpoints?? While stuck and trying to get out, a jackpoint cover came off, lost in the snow, was run over, found later broke in half. Side skirts?? And one side skirt snagged in the drift and was 1/3 off before I removed it for its own protection. But with that storm, that was the only time I got stuck and couldn't get myself out of it. Although I parked the next day and Aussie drove me around in a 4X4 truck. OK that's what I should have had all along, but until then my damn Chicago snow driver macho took over.

But getting around w/ fwd and no chains and not a lot of tread on my all weather tires had worked for me up until that day. I'd seen 4wd jeeps get stuck while I was still getting around. The svt worked as well in snow as a Saab 99 with michelin snows had worked for me in Champaign-Urbana in the 80s.

And my Duratec blows warm within a mile of home in city driving.

Ill admit the contour is pretty good in the snow, but when the SVT meets like 15 in of snow on the road:shocked:, it turns into a nice snow plow :laugh:.. lol the first time that happened to me i just cried...

Back