• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ignition and Key Problems!

DDV

CEG'er
For about a year now, I've noticed that the ignition key is difficult to insert into the ignition lock. Took it to a local locksmith recently and had a new key made, as the old one (original) was really worn out at the tip. They made two new keys and advised that I have the cylinder replaced because it has worn guides.

The other day, the key got stuck IN the ignition and wouldn't come out! I finally got it out after wiggling it and messin' with it.

SO--I guess it's time I pony up the $150-or-so bucks to replace the cylinder.

Anybody else have this problem?

I haven't had that exact problem, but my ignition is really sticky. On cold days I can't just release it to disengage the starter...I actually have to turn it backwards a little ways. Don't know what to lube it with.

I had to replace my lock cylinder a couple of years ago. My key got stuck in there, and I don't remember if I got it out first or not, but I had to drill the stupid cylinder to get it out of the column. It was not fun. Once I got the new one in, it would come out correctly again, but I think the original one was so screwed up that it wouldn't come out with the release like it should. I had to buy a whole lock set from Ford, as they said the ignition was not available by itself. I had the new one re-keyed to the old keys so I wouldn't have to replace all my locks. So yeah, good times... :rolleyes:

Back