• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Had starter problems today!!!!

Humboldtkill

CEG'er
I was at the post office today shipping off my normal ebay packages and when i hopped in the car to leave and no starty starty no likey :nonono: it just spun.About 15min later,after i struck out finding the starter to try and give it a tap,it started? So now on top of needing the msds headers and y-pipe installed now i need a starter! Shotwell and i had a talk today about what a PITA it is to do(sorry buddy i cleared my inbox i didnt get your pm). And my question to you gurus is....................should i

Just have the starter/ headers/y-pipe installed. Or should i have those installed along with a clutch/lsd that leaves no money for a tranny rebuild. Is the starter and header job one of those,well since were in here might as well do this and that? I just dont want to do the starter/headers and in a month or 2 later have to drop the motor for a clutch job.If the starter and headers can be put in without pulling the motor or anything major, i can just wait and do the tranny/lsd/clutch/fidanza flywheel at the same time when the first one of those go bad.Grrrrrr my mustang is never this difficult to figure out! Im lost.

Almost ready to just drive my tbird.Its the only car thats solid latley.My stang still has no smog pump or cats so no DEQ! And with my bad cat on the 99tour no DEQ there either! WOOOOSA GOOSFRABA

Starter and headders can be done without pulling the engine/tranny. Do them and then when something goes do the clutch and tranny thing. Now I didn't say the headders were easy, and the starter has a bunch of work clearing things to get to it. Have you checked your CD yet. Perhaps we need to get together.
AF

Thank you Aussie:cool: I feel much better now.I will examine the CD and see what is in store.I checked with a very trusted local shop here and they wont touch the headers,they also want 150 to install a starter:nonono: Im going to call a few shops that are out of deq range,they may be more willing to make a buck and forget about such things as cats.I can practice on the 98 i picked up for 500,sorry had to throw that in there:blackeye:

The starter isn't bad at all. I replaced mine in no time. The headers were also easy... but my 3 liter was on my engine stand at the time. Now my rear header gasket has blown out on one of the corners and needs to be replaced. Don't use the fiber type gasket that comes with the headers, reuse the metal ones that came with the car! I'm not looking forward to pulling it off. I think if I yank the passenger side axle out it would make things a lot easier. I think I might even support the engine and remove the rear mount. Sigh...

I pulled exhaust manifolds off an SVT in the jy and it wasn't that tough. The key is to get everything that is in the way out of the way so you can do the job. Sometimes the getting ready to do it, and the putting everything back takes most of the time....:shrug:

PB Blaster is your friend apply it over a few days before doing the work.

There has also been previous discussions on the best type of gaskets to use, as 95Mike found out..... good reminder there buddy to do some reading before the doing part.

AF

95Mike Thank you for the tip buddy! I wondered that when i seen the cheap gasket that came with them. I am going to pull the 98 csvt i just got into the garage and take the top end apart to practice.Im going to ebay the head,cams,Uim/Lim/T-body ext...Anyway so maby before i do that i can have some stuff powder coated! That fund my 3L build,well at least get the motor. I have Aussies CD so im good,wait,now i need good tools! Grrr
Ok Back to ebay! Any special tools you think i may need?

Back