• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1st Annual SEAK Sea-to-Ice Glacier Solo Run w/Pics

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
It was a beautiful winter day here, snow is crisp, sun is out (finally). I gathered up all the SEAK CEG'ers (that would be me) and with my 7 y.o. lad we had to make a run from one end of town to the other. So pics are provided.

FYI - Juneau is landlocked. No roads in or out. Maybe ~40 miles of road from end-to-end. So we stopped along the way south across the bridge in Douglas (an island community since incorporated in the City of Juneau) and grabbed some shots.

This shot shows the view of downtown Juneau looking back across the Douglas Bridge. Nice snow-covered mountain backdrop.

SDC10041.jpg

This view, albeit dark, was taken looking south across the Douglas boat harbor out towards Taku Inlet and Stephens Passage (the "sea" direction). Nice morning clouds portend a great day.

SDC10049.jpg

Had to post this, so you'd know I was driving the 'tour and not the truck. This car handles great on snow and ice. Today was right after the supposed "biggest moon ever", so I got the moon too....

SDC10054.jpg

Later we made the Northward run out to the Mendenhall Glacier. This is the access road. I've seen wolves along here, and they frequent the glacier in the winter when the lake is frozen over.

SDC10056.jpg

Out at the glacier, parked near the visitor center. Mendenhall Glacier is the backdrop.

SDC10062.jpg

And the obligatory tourist money shot, of the glacier in the distance.

SDC10067.jpg

And ...

SDC10070.jpg

Our next run will be put to the committe (me) to decide where we'll head on the next gorgeous day. Invites are open. Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Back