• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cam tool?

impalaguy

New CEG'er
Thought I would post locally and see if I might get lucky....

The timing belt broke on my 98 'tour and I am in the middle of replacing it. I am looking for the camshaft alignment tool/cranksaft pin and I'm trying to find one locally so I wont get hammered by shippping charges. (almost as much at the kit :mad:) I was wondering if anyone local to the Everett area had the kit I could borrow or tell me where to get one locally? Brien ford had NO clue what I was talking about.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sorry, I don't have one for a Contour.

Have one for a VW diesel though!

Try different deep dell socket sizes. You can usually find one that works.

Are you looking for the tool that allows you to get some slack in the belt?:shrug:... cause i have a different method that works as well :laugh::laugh:

I scrounged around and found enough flat metal to align the cams (pretty tight fit). Used the screwdriver in the #1 plug hole along the key on the crankshaft at 12:00 to find TDC. FINALLY got the belt on. What a PITA :mad:. Cranked it around 2 times and was able to just barely get the metal pieces in the end of the cam.....

Am I golden?:confused:

Didnt loosen up the cam sprockets..........

You should replace the tentioner and pully those plastic parts wear and you may have additional problems soon if you don't.

Yes, I did replace them. They didnt look too bad except for the lower one that had a little bit of play.

Thanks for bringing it up. I dont know why anyone wouldnt want to replace them while its opened up.

Double, triple checked the timing put her all back together and she started right up! :laugh: Idles great and seems to have a bit more pep too. I am leaving the upper timing belt cover off to see how the belt behaves but as of now its tracking about 3/16ths of an inch from the edge of the cam sprokets.

Back