• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Remember those secondaries?

shotwell

Veteran CEG'er
Remember when all were huddled around my car watching my secondaries open and close? Ya, well congrats guys...you're the last ones to see them working!

Some time after I broke off the pack I noticed the lack of kick after 3.5k and struggle to get it to even 6k. Got it home and grabbed a flashlight...they're not opening! DAMN!!

Yes, the clip is still firmly in place.

When I did my tune up the other day I had my IMRC box off. Maybe I bumped something wrong. They worked all day...

So ya got one of those lying around Aussie?

Looks like it is time to head to a wrecking yard. Sorry to hear that though I know what it feels like. Mine stuck shut once - when I pulled out in front of someone. Oops they were mad.:nonono:

Good luck.

Ahh! Wow that sucks man, had the IMRC go out on mine a while back... just doesnt like to move lol... Yeah aussie got any svt parts lying around :laugh: lol

The rest of the story:

My hard drive crashed and I didn't see any posts except one on Sunday, but I was meeting an old friend of mine at the JY to get a steering column for his exploader. After getting that I was looking for that secondary rod clip on a tour and as I was standing there Shotwell calls me and asks me if I have an IMRC laying around. So I tell him that I'm looking at one right now and he about drives off the road...... LOL

I grabbed it (the clips were broken) and my friend and I headed to the check out. The gal asked what that was I had and after marking the steering column says $33. My friend asks how much of that was for that part I had and she says I'm only caharging for the column I don't know what that other thing even is and it's not in the computer..... :laugh:

Later in the evening Shotwell and I met up and I gave it to him for the same price, and "that guy" had stopped and gotten me a clip at Schucks. Since his secondaries had started working again we didn't install the new IMRC but we checked it to make sure it was working, and then we installed "the clip". Did a few test runs and headed down the road.

All in all it was a successful mini meet I'll post the pic later.

AF

Thanks again Aussie!

I've left the cover off the engine since the secondaries started acting up. They haven't acted up since. I don't know if that's the fix...I did fool with the connector a bit. I'm probably going to put the cover back on today and see how it goes. Doesn't hurt to have an extra IMRC box lying around!

All you guys who need that secondaries clip for the linkage, there are a couple of really good posts covering it. It's available at Schucks, Auto Zone, Baxter, probably other. It's in the HELP section. I printed out a page with the price on it...Schucks price matched it!

The problem that happened with my IMRC was that it got to hot and melted some of the wires together... And so yours may be acting up from the heat as well... Mine was from having the engine be very hot all the time, which i dont know how is possilbe with that car :rolleyes::rolleyes:...

That's very possible. That run from Randle south had the car seeing lots of 6000RPM+ operation. The cooling system held up as it should, but you can bet that IMRC got mighty hot.

I wonder if there are more IMRC failures in the south during the summer than anywhere else.

Got mine today, 8.13 at the dealer. and about ten min to put it in.
damm they are proud of that ........ and of course you all know there is another one on the other end of that rod too...... right! if you push the rod in wrong then you can actually pop it out of that other end which is under the TB and the bracket. Even worse to get to than the end you can see.... LOL

AF

Heck ya it helped... and yes they are VERY proud of that little plastic part.. come on 8 BUCKS!!

Anywhys the last half of that tank of gas after fixing it brought my av. to 25mpg... so imagine it across the board:laugh:

But yes there is two, one on the valve on on the motor. But i checked that ones fine.

Ya i cant see a price there....:shrug:

does this help?

Item Number: F5RZ9F955AB
MSRP: $6.65
Core Price: $0.00
Price: $4.95

By the way, Bowen-Scarff Ford in Auburn has competitive prices online - and in most cases it'll be on your doorstep when you get home from work the next day! They used to be known as "1stford.com" but Ford's lawyers nixed that name (go figure). It's now http://www.bowenscarff-fordparts.com/

Back