• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help! cant pass deq! p420

Humboldtkill

CEG'er
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-0][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Catalyst System Efficiency below Limit - Bank No 1. Ok so i got a universal high flow main cat and i hope it works,my problem is does this code refer to the main cat or the pre-cats off the exhaust manifold? I must get this fixed(i dont want a redhot cat melting or hurting something.if this doesnt work where on earth do i find the pre-cats? are they even needed for deq?:shrug: Sorry guys im used to mustang 5.0's with no cats! :help: And a quick side note,i have 2 sets of iridium plugs.One set is autolite and the other is NGK.How hard is it to change them out and what set do the tours like?
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

That code is for the rear bank pre-cat.

It is usually a false code. Reset the computer and drive the car and see if the code returns. It may take a week or two of driving before the computer goes through the drive cycle to check the cats again.

Another alternative is to install MIL eliminators to fool the computer into thinking the cat is OK even when it isn't.

There have been copious posts on these codes and there is a lot of information about them. If you spend a moment and perform a search you should be able to learn how to address your problem.

There is a how to on making MIL eliminators if you need them. When pre cats go bad many folks just install those and gut the precats. There is a lot of info on doing that. I even have a plan to make them simpler and easier to install.

Spark plugs ...... most folks use autolite double plats. Seem to give the best results. The iridium plugs have mixed results. Not all that hard to change, you have to work at the rear ones a bit. There is a how to on that too, but I'd be glad to talk you through it.

At Schucks Auto Parts you can borrow a scanner and reset the code. Now if you need to go through DEQ do that just before going in for the test and It won't show any codes since that one takes a while to show back up. Once through you have a couple of years to figure out how to get it fixed... LOL

Give me a call if you need help. PM me if you don't still have my number.

Are you joining us on the run & meet this Saturday?

Regards,
AF

Firs off thankyou for your time and knowledge guys! I know for a fact at least one cat is bad.I smelled the rotten eggs a few days ago! I will post my results from deq today.When the code first came on i replaced the o2 sensors on bank 1 had jiffy lube reset the computer and it took 2 days for the code to return.So deq only looks at the computer codes huh? wow,im used to the giant hoses they put on your exhaust and read the mixture! I cant wait to trick them,i mean, cough cough hope it works! As to the meet ,how far exactly is our drive? Tacoma is a little far for me to go......im 50/50 at this point.I have a new valentine 1 radar should be here by friday(if it is i can lead the pack,lol):eek: We need to set up a day to change our plugs! I will try the autolite plugs and you can use the iridiums if you like? mabey i should order wires from bat also?

ps should i worry about the main cay install? Also shouldn't i have the pre-cats gutted before a long drive? will it hurt anything?

Grrrrr! They caught me at DEQ! They asked if i had work done recently and i said NO and then the inform me there computer indicated that the batt cable was off and it had to do a full drive cycle before i get a reading! Im stuck,anyone want to get paid for doing my mil eliminators? I live in tigard oregon.Tonight im going to see Comedian Doug Benson at a comedy club in portland!:nonono:

Grrrrr! They caught me at DEQ! They asked if i had work done recently and i said NO and then the inform me there computer indicated that the batt cable was off and it had to do a full drive cycle before i get a reading! Im stuck,anyone want to get paid for doing my mil eliminators? I live in tigard oregon.Tonight im going to see Comedian Doug Benson at a comedy club in portland!:nonono:

MIL eliminators will not get you through the drive cycle. You need to drive it until the P1000 code disappears from the PCM running all the monitors. The cat monitor is the last to run. The P1000 code was set from clearing the codes or by disconnecting the battery.

The correct answer should have been I was just cleaning my battery terminals.....:cool:

MIL eliminators will not get you through the drive cycle. You need to drive it until the P1000 code disappears from the PCM running all the monitors. The cat monitor is the last to run. The P1000 code was set from clearing the codes or by disconnecting the battery.

After the p1000 code goes away the mil eliminators should fool the hard working people at DEQ?

If you want to make a MIL eliminator for that side I have a couple of sensor connector ends you can use. When you read the HOW TO it talks about cutting them into you wiring harness. I think one can make it up using these pig tails and just plug it in.

AF

Im going to radioshack and getting the peices to make the MIL's. If this does not work ......... Does this trick work (see link below)to get through a drive cycle/diagnostic check much quicker or does it get rid of the P1000 code without going through a drive cycle and showing the P0420 code again? If so DEG wouldnt be the wiser............................................ :shrug: I guess i could just try but it does seem a bit far fetched. I looked into my warranty info and for the cats i says 70,000 miles or 7 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!S!!!!H!!!!O!!!!T!!!!W!!!!E!!!!L!!!!L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shrug: Well hey we tried.Guess its the MIL's :laugh:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Im going to radioshack and getting the peices to make the MIL's. If this does not work ......... Does this trick work (see link below)to get through a drive cycle/diagnostic check much quicker or does it get rid of the P1000 code without going through a drive cycle and showing the P0420 code again? If so DEG wouldnt be the wiser............................................ :shrug: I guess i could just try but it does seem a bit far fetched. I looked into my warranty info and for the cats i says 70,000 miles or 7 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!S!!!!H!!!!O!!!!T!!!!W!!!!E!!!!L!!!!L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shrug: Well hey we tried.Guess its the MIL's :laugh:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Since the P0420 and P0430 are usually false codes, my suggestion is to go through the drive cycle and see if the code repeats. Worry about the MIL eliminators if the code comes back.

ok man that code sucks! mine threw the same po420 code. then my motor blew so i put the 3L in and that code hasent came back since. so that code sucks cause i use the same precats... an i red on a post that could be anything from precats to exhaust leak....

magnaflow.gif

Zoom
Magnaflow Catalytic Converter
1995-2000 Ford Contour

"MAGNAFLOW DIRECT-FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER -- Front Catalytic Converter, Bolt-On To Manifold, Designed To Exact Original Equipment Specifications, Easy Bolt-On Installation, 49-State OBDII Legal, For Pre-OBDII Only When Used On California-Registered Vehicles, With Magnaflow's Limited Warranty"

check.gif
Availability: In Stock
dollar_icon.jpg
Low Price Guarantee

FITS (ENGINE/CHASSIS)
SKU
PRICE
QTY
1995-2000 Ford Contour M6650301 $331.83

1999: 6Cyl 2.5L "Gas, FI, Vin L", 155, MFI" LX

1999: 6Cyl 2.5L "Gas, FI, Vin L", 155, MFI" SE

1999: 6Cyl 2.5L "Gas, FI, Vin L", 155, MFI" SVT

If the mil's dont work!
????????

Oh SVT1480....................nice ride! Very clean!

Back