• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Portland 9/16/06 meet

PDXSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Ok, let's try to make something official.

I have yet to ask my wife (though I anticipate no problems), but I am inclined to offer use of my backyard and gas grill for burgers if no one else pipes up with another enthusiastic alternative, and you'd have to be dog-friendly. My home is in Beaverton very close to Hwy 26, Hwy 217, and the surface street intersection of Walker Road and Cedar Hills Blvd. I will be out of town from 9/9/06 late night until late afternoon of 9/13/06, so if meeting at my place is what happens, for anyone who asks for directions or an address, I can send a PM once I'm back in town.

IF we are going to the PIR drags afterwards, I'd suggest we meet at around 4 PM to eat and shoot the bull, and then the gates for PIR open around 6PM, it's an easy drive there from my place.

IF this is what happens, I would invite Pat to bring his S/C'd SVT Mustang; my high school buddy Bill who went with Pat and I to Woodburn back in April (Bill met some of you last summer at BJs/Jantzen Beach, he has a black Mitsu eclipse turbo) and Pat's brother Dan (another old guy whose toy is a recent Honda S2000). Marty has met Pat and Dan at PIR.

We need to check out Marty's PRP and SZ2006 stories/pix if he's available; we need to welcome Derk to the Pacific Northwest if he's available; and I need to talk with Woogieman about whether Mike Hass will see any playing time with Da Bears this season. Yes, we can also talk about the Seahawks. (Did anyone else see the news story about the Detroit Lions coach who was recently arrested for DUII and driving nude? Why is he not working on a party boat for the Minnesota Vikings?) And we can brainstorm on reasons why Qbert should buy that S/C Contour, if anyone can reach him.

Yes, we can do go-karts instead, but if I'm on a track with Marty or Derk, they each need to carry an extra 80 lbs as ballast.

Anyway, if burgers at my place is acceptable, I'd like word from people in time to allow my lining up enough patties, buns, etc .

Pat's already gotten back to me about his interest in meeting up and going to the track. Here's an e-mail from him including a link to pix taken by a buddy of his from our visit to the Ford Fever Day at Woodburn in August:

Dan is in Ann Arbor this weekend to catch a football game…Many thanks for the info on the 400HP 3.0L… That would be one fun car to own….? Below is the link to the pictures/ video that Rob captured at the All Ford Event… I am going racing this Sunday at Woodburn and yes am up for the 16th also… Sounds like a blast for sure… I’m not a Contour, but SVT related… I would like to see Marty’s pictures you mention and also somewhat surprised how much of a gear head he is… JK. Sunday will be in the 70’s and maybe finally will see some decent ET’s to brag about… Better remember my AAA card in case I get a bit too aggressive at the starting line… Any news on the CAI group purchase…?

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/racefan_2006/Woodburn Ford Drags/

I believe I'm free that day, and that sounds like a most excellent way to spend it! :) I can bring a laptop and a bunch of SZ06 pictures, as well as some from my trip to Chicago a bit over a month ago. I'll also have my XCal2 and PRP software along.

Marty

Last edited:
Quicksilv3r & myself will be attending the Mt. Angel Oktoberfest as well. We haven't decided exactly when we are going to be there but it will be after 12PM. I would still like to meet you guys at PIR or somewhere along the way if I'm unable to get to Bob's before you leave. I'm not sure if Quicksilv3r will join me but I've been applying some peer pressure already. I'll let you guys know what's going on as we figure it out, & I might try to get some cell phone #'s so I can keep intouch on Saturday the 16th.

GRN99SVT- maybe if things work out, you,Quicksilv3r,& I can head up to Bob's or PIR together. Just let me know if you're interested.

Hey woogieman I'am also tring to get buddy to go. I'll have get back to on meeting up with you, My son has a soccer game at saturday not sure when it get's over. Hope to see you guys on saturday!!

I'll keep an eye to see if you guys are going karting. If so I'll try and show up. Got an SVT yesterday!!!!! See the other post in the NW.

Rob

From Portland

From Portland

I don't have an SVT, but just a Contour SE v6.
I would like to get together with fellow Contour fans in Portland.

If that's ok with you guys.
I plan to use my Contour SE until replaced in 2008 - Skyline GTR.

Cheers...

Herry- I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say you are always more than welcome to come & hang-out with us. We definitely don't discriminate. I've seen Taurus SHO's, Mustangs, 4cyl Contours, Foci,(< I like that word) & an Eclipse.

GRN99SVT- Are you going to go to Oktoberfest & Bob's/PIR? If so I will see you for sure. Quicksilv3r & I think next year we should try to have a meet at O'fest & see if we can all participate in the small Car Show there. We would have great parking spots & there's plenty of food and drink.

-Aaron

Portland meet 9/16/06 4 PM

Portland meet 9/16/06 4 PM

It looks like the weather may actually cooperate on Saturday, clouds but no rain, so PIR should be open. Sorry Qbert, that probably means no go-karts. BUT THIS MEET IS ON.

Could I get a HEAD COUNT for Saturday at 4 PM for my place? I need info on how many burgers and buns and condiments to get. Leave the tofu at home or face my wife's wrath.

Here's a few disclaimers: 1) We're still cleaning up/putting away clothes and gear from a camping trip to the beach at the OR/CALI border. Our place looks like a tornado hit an REI store.
2) My wife will be watching our 5 mo. old grandson, and he may be napping, so keep the noise in the back yard. But if he's awake, he belongs in this group. He likes his toy Chevron car.
3) If you have a folding chair, BRING IT. We have space but don't have seats for a crowd.
4) We just had a family member golden retriever put down last night, Rhonda and I are both taking it hard. It was VERY sudden and unexpected, some kind of tumor on her heart (?) got to her, she went from playing in the surf and chasing birds on Monday and Tuesday to passing out and a seizure on Wednesday while we were racing back home to her vet. We still have our wirehaired griffon, and two other little buddies will be staying with us Saturday, but Sophie was their favorite. And Griffin will try to steal your burger.

Now for some location details:

I'm Bob. My cell: 503-939-0842.
My home location: SW 121st Place, Beaverton, two houses North of Walker Road. Red pick-up and a silver CSVT in the driveway or in front.

This is maybe a quartermile East of Cedar Hills Blvd. Once you see the soccer field on Walker, we're the first street to the East of it with our yard backing up against that soccer field.

To keep directions to my place easy for those not familiar with the neighborhood, there is an exit for Cedar Hills Blvd off of US Hwy 26. Go South on Cedar Hills until the light at Walker Rd (that's the corner with the 76 gas station); make a left at that light to go East on Walker; put on your left turn blinker as you're going along the chain link fence and turn left as soon as the bushes open up at the far end of the soccer field, before you go around the curve.

Bring your own chips/fruit/snacks AND liquid refreshments, but let's not get loaded and hurt someone.

About Portland International Raceway: There are exits off of I-5 for PIR just South of the Oregon/Washington border, probably costs about $8 to get in as a spectator, or $22 to race IIRC. You can't bring in beer, but overpriced suds might be for sale inside.

Yes, Mike, even Monte Carlos and Luminas can show up.
And Qbert and Derk: Foci and Scions are OK too.

Hmmm, PIR....haven't had the Focus out since I put the header on...maybe I should go and see what she'll do. Though she isn't running too good right now.

I'll try to be there, but I will already be full from Oktoberfest so I won't be eating anything. I will probably be late so I will have your phone# with me so I can call you & let you know when I'll be there. That is truely sad news about your dog. Hopefully a meet will provide a little escape from the saddness.

-Aaron

We have to do some more of this again, and NOT wait a year for next time. I'm not sure I'll be doing a posting in the dyno and drag forum, but for interested locals (is that an oxymoron in this NW branch?), we had 4 CSVTS and a Cobra show up, the Cobra and two Contours raced. Kudos to Chris ("I want to see what it can do") in risking his stock diff yet being able to drive home, no one broke anything. The turnout was really big at PIR and I wanted to get home by 11:15 pm, so no hot lapping my car this time, my car only got in three runs, one of those by Groovenerd/Marty. My tires suck and I suck. No fancy 60' times: I got a 2.371 best of 3 runs. No wonderful ETs: I got a 15.63 best of 3 runs.

BUT... Do you know how crummy golfers will play 18 holes and hit all the water hazards, sand traps and trees... but one good drive or putt happens, one which will keep them coming back for more self torture the next weekend? That happened last night. One thing turned out right, and so I'm encouraged to go out again. Marty turned in a 92.03 mph trap speed on his run.

Last edited:
Thanks,Bob I had a great time.It was nice to see everyone.My first run ever was a 17.314 and my second was 16.458 not bad for my first time I think.I had to stop after my second because I was shaking so bad I was way to excited.Hey Marty if you took any pics could you please post them. Thanks Chris.

I had fun as well. I wish I would have been at Bob's place earlier so I could talk with you guys more, but PIR was great. I am looking forward to having more meets like this in the future. I just wish we could get more people to meet-up. Thanks Bob for getting this meet together & I also would like to see some of Marty's pics. Hopefully he isn't still at work.

Yeah, Marty, it's been most of a week. Don't you have a picture of that twin turbo Camaro launching on it's 8.4 second run?

Yeah, sorry I haven't posted pictures yet. I got a new CF card reader and it doesn't appear to work at all, so I need to reinstall the old one again. :nonono: I haven't even downloaded the pictures yet! Hopefully I can get that done tonight and throw some pictures up. I had a great time, and we should do that at least once more before the rain hits!

Marty

Pat got his Cobra down to 12.12 and a 115 trap speed Friday night at PIR. And I'm hoping my Pudmunkie group buy heatshield shows up soon.

Back