• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1/8 mile street drags in Monroe.

Bugzuki

Veteran CEG'er
This Friday (today) and next Friday the Evergreen Speedway is having street drags. I might go one of the nights to see how the car is running. It costs $30 dollars to run and $7 to watch in the grand stands, $15 to watch in the Pits. The pits open at 5:30pm for practice then there is an elimination competition.

Does anyone else want to go?

Well, the races went good. I had a hard time with wheel spin and a couple missed shifts, during practice. My fastest time during practice was a 9.251.

The racing was single elimination against others in the bracket. I just happened to line up against a mustang 5.0 convertable that was consistently getting 9.06's. I lost the first race and got eliminated. In that race he got a 9.102 and I got a 9.115.

Well, it was fun.

Here are the dates of the next races:

April 27, May 4, 18, 25, June 8, 15, 22, July 6, 20, August 10, 17 Sept 7 and 28th

We should have a meet there sometime.

Eventhough it is only 1/8th mile it is still fun. It gives you the ability to see how your car stacks up to others. And you get to do some spirited driving with out worrying about police. With street tires the ground is quite slippery at the starting line because of all the rubber from the drag tires.

It was a lot of fun, and would be better if there were some other Contours there.

Anyone up for the Drags in Monroe Tonight or next weekend. DDV might be able to show up next weekend. I don't think anyone could talk him into getting his car out on the track though.

I just found that there is an old simple formula for converting 1/8th mile times into 1/4mile times, it is: 1/8 Time * 1.57 = 1/4 Time.

My last run = 9.115 --> 9.115 * 1.57 = 14.31 second 1/4 mile. That is with major wheel spin. I need some racing tires.

Here is a cool page that gives you estimated 1/4 mile times from 1/8 mile times. It can also estimate your horsepower from the vehicle weight and the track time or speed.

Calculator

You Got That Right

You Got That Right

I don't think anyone could talk him into getting his car out on the track though.

I'm afraid I'd break it! It now has over 58,000 miles on it and it's due for a throttle body cleaning.

If you go tonight, I hope others show up. Have fun!

Looks like it is going to rain, so I will go next week. It would be nice if we could get a couple Contours there.

Of course there are veriables that the formula can not acount for. But, they time a pile of runs and find something that is pretty close - then they add the word approximately. It makes it so you can compare the times and have an idea.

I'm afraid I'd break it! It now has over 58,000 miles on it and it's due for a throttle body cleaning.

If you go tonight, I hope others show up. Have fun!

Are you kidding? I have over 138,000 miles and never cleaned anything internal! Not that it doesn't need it, but my special Ford cleaning spoon has been missing for a couple of years...

Are you kidding? I have over 138,000 miles and never cleaned anything internal! Not that it doesn't need it, but my special Ford cleaning spoon has been missing for a couple of years...

I thought you got your spoon back last year.

Damn you and that spoon anyway.

142,000 miles now.

Mike is also skilled with a putty knife: he helped clean my gunked up UIMs.

So is one of your Monte Carlos up and running (or a Lumina?) that you can tear down and clean your own UIMs, Mike?

Last edited:
I actually own 10 cars right now. It's absolute madness. I'm trying to find a couple of titles so I can sell. I just can't pass up a good deal!

I'm fairly sure my intake is super nasty inside. One of these days I'll get around to it. I was working on my '71 Dodge truck tonight. Swapped off a POS Holley carb for a rebuilt QJet. It runs nice now.

Once I finish with this Camaro project my garage will be free again for smaller jobs. I think there's a motor swap or two lined up, but NO CONVERSIONS! lol

On another note, I'll be in Portland for the holiday weekend. It's supposed to be nice out!

Back