• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for help

I can't really go to Lancaster to help but these cars have an access under the back seat so you should need to drop the tank if that helps get you started :shrug:
shouldn't
sorry typo

Sorry i didnt get back to you. Had a busy weekend. Doubt ill be able to get there to help you out unless i get a gltain day durring the week. Inwhich you will prob be working. Ill say something to mark to get ahold of you

Honestly either day works. I texted Lee that the car is in a lighted garage. . Same place it's been for the last 4 years. So if you got the time that is fantastic. I looked over the link posted and that seems to be for retrofitting a newer pump in? Was there a different pump for the 2000?

A lot of them had a ring in the bottom of the tank to secure the pump in place and in order to put the new pump in, you have to remove the ring or the new pump wont fit. There are also two ways of going about this. We can either jack up the car, drop the gas tank and do it the "correct way" or we can take tin snips to the floor at the access hole to remove the pump through the interior of the car. That way would be quicker, but it also involves the cutting of the metal. It'll just fold back over into place, but I know some people don't like cutting up their cars for a repair, which I can understand. I've done 2 pumps so far on the Contours and they are by far one of the hardest gas tanks to pull out due to the lack of room between the rear sub frame and drop off for the back seat/floor. You can literally remove the gas tank straps and drive the car around without the tank falling out.

Any thoughts on what to replace it with? I did some looking at i'm trying to keep this as straight forward as possible. I saw the the focus pump fits, but with modifications. I have a late model year 2000 so i believe i should be returnless. Correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like there was an updated pump for the returnless, PFS289 part number. Turns out that's 650$ through my local dealer, ouch. Is there another source I should be looking at?

Any thoughts on what to replace it with? I did some looking at i'm trying to keep this as straight forward as possible. I saw the the focus pump fits, but with modifications. I have a late model year 2000 so i believe i should be returnless. Correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like there was an updated pump for the returnless, PFS289 part number. Turns out that's 650$ through my local dealer, ouch. Is there another source I should be looking at?

In my experience, the OEM pump is the way to go. If I recall, you're car is mostly stock, so there is no need to really upgrade the fuel pump from stock. Yes the new pump is revised. That's where the removal of the ring in the bottom of the tank comes into place. The new pump doesn't utilize that ring, and therefore needs to be removed for the new pump to fit in. I do have the special tool for that ring removal, whether I help you or someone else does, I don't mind loaning it out. I'm actually curious to see how it works as I've never been able to use it. I bought it after doing two of those pumps and removing the ring with a pair of angle cutters.

That's not a bad price for an OEM. Some people like aftermarket, but I just prefer OEM. I've seen too many aftermarkets fail for me to ever want to install one. Just hate having to repeat jobs due to crappy parts.

Thats sort of where I was at. I mean don't get me wrong: Paying more for parts always sucks... but its OEM and i shouldn't have to worry about it.

Are you able to stop out Sat or Sun?

Exactly on the parts! I always spend more for OEM when it comes to electronically controlled parts.

I believe so. I'll be in Allentown most of the day Saturday, I may be able to stop by Saturday evening, or come by Sunday late morning or early afternoon. Did you decide which way you'd like to have the pump removed?

Honestly, I think the snips may be the way to go. Sounds like dropping the tank may be a huge pain in the butt. I seem to remember there being an in-line filter on the drivers side. Is that worth replacing as well?

ok, cool. And YES always replace the fuel filter when doing a pump. Most places require it to keep a warranty on the pump, plus it just makes the job more complete.

There is nothing wrong with snipping that sheet metal. There was already a hole there for the purpose of replacing the pump, they just screwed up not making it big enough or changing the location of the hole as they changed the fuel tanks and pump styles over the years.

Back