• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT is in the shop

96MystiqueGS

Veteran CEG'er
Well, it took me a couple months, but the SVT is in the shop. I took it to a local shop to have the clutch and differential replaced. I would have loved to do it myself, but I just don't have the time or space to do it. I was supposed to have it done at a garage down the street from my mother's house (for $625 labor), but suddenly they claimed I never asked about a differential and they don't have the tools to do it.

They referred me to Continential Car Care in Larksville, PA and told me it was going to be $985 (labor only). I got there and was very nervous when the guy behind the counter asked if I was in to have a Posi-Rear installed. Apparently the other garage thought I had a rear wheel drive Contour.... nice!

The car is torn apart and the tranny is out, I just have to call later to see when it will be done. I hope nothing else comes up and this is all the work it needs.

Ummmm, are you putting in a LSD or just a stock diff? That much labor, I would just buy a known good trans off a member and have them put it in. BTW, there is a video on youtube for replacing the diff in our cars ;).

Scary man. If I heard him talking about a "posi rear" in a FWD Contour, I would turn around and RUN the other way.

I have a brand new stock differential for right now. I don't plan on driving the car hard so it will be ok. I'll probably wind up getting an LSD down the road, but not until things get settled with the new house. $60 for a brand new differential was hard to pass up right now with all these bills.

Ummmm, are you putting in a LSD or just a stock diff? That much labor, I would just buy a known good trans off a member and have them put it in. BTW, there is a video on youtube for replacing the diff in our cars ;).

Scary man. If I heard him talking about a "posi rear" in a FWD Contour, I would turn around and RUN the other way.
same :eek: lol. then again the first shop may have just passed along strange info.

do you remember what search terms you typed in to find that video? I'd like to watch it, however "Ford Contour Differential" would've been too easy :laugh:.

I've had the car for a few days and it is great! I'm still getting used to the feel of the new clutch. I drove a minivan for 3 months so driving the SVT is a big difference. The only issue left with the car is a slight hesitation but I think a good upper and lower intake manifold/TB cleaning will help greatly.

do you remember what search terms you typed in to find that video? I'd like to watch it, however "Ford Contour Differential" would've been too easy :laugh:.

I think it was called "torsen install" or "LSD install" or "quaife install" or "differential install"..... something like that. They should have put "mtx75...." in the title so you could find it easier. It's posted by a neco member.

Back