• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Harry's U-Pull It...I love thee.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
I went there with $80 and came back completely out of cash...that even included the $11 dinner!

I went there for a full length roof rack and a tail light. After picking them up and attempting to help find a thermostat housing for Alex, I came across a '97-'01 XJ with something I REALLY wanted.

The roof rack, tail light, and something else that's elluding me right now came out to $28. Which was about $10 cheaper than it should have been...though I'm not complaining.

Anyway, back to the part about something I really wanted.

I noticed a damn near perfect trailer hitch that was missing a wiring harness. Alex and I started by literally ripping the rear bumper off. Not unbolting it like crazy...actually ripping it off. :laugh: So after that was done we fought with the bolts for what seemed to be an hour...but we got it off. I now have a hitch and managed to save roughly $100 on buying one new.

Now for the part about something I really wanted.

After we got the hitch off, I finally realized the gas tank had a 1/4" thick steel skid plate on it. Unfortunately Harry's employee's decided to rest the car on it. I was bummed, but Alex did his best to lift the entire back side of the car up. In the midst of this, two Mexicans walked by and asked if we needed a hand. So, after that...I now had the plate in my possesion.

We lugged them out of there, on our way we came across another one with a hitch that had the harness. So now I have a complete hitch and harness...and a skid plate to boot. I was expecting to shell out my last $50...but I think the girl wanted to "take a ride on our disco sticks"...so I only paid $35 for all of that. It should have been closer to $50 though. :laugh:

The moral of this post is...Ford is a bunch of dumb ????s and some how used about 10 different thermostat housings from '98 to '00 on the same Zetec engine. :crazy:

The best part was when I snapped the bumper clean off the bracket. As I said, anything can be broken off, its just a matter of the magnitude of the applied force and the direction:laugh:

And I still have to order my housing from the dealer. FORD... F-you. Here's a tip, use the same god damn thermostat housing on the same motor.

I put the tail light on, as well as the license plate light.

I can't wait to try and put this stuff on this weekend. :blackeye:

1257301189.jpg

As I said, anything can be broken off, its just a matter of the magnitude of the applied force and the direction:laugh:

Even the screws to a thermostat housing?:laugh::laugh:

On the bright side, your car has no more kidney stones, but it left me with a strange taste in my mouth....:crazy:

If you need a ride or something just give me a call.

Even the screws to a thermostat housing?:laugh::laugh:

On the bright side, your car has no more kidney stones, but it left me with a strange taste in my mouth....:crazy:

If you need a ride or something just give me a call.

You're lucky I didn't take pics of that:laugh:
I'll let you know if I need anything, thanks!

Glenn if you want a hand this weekend let me know and I'll come up provided that I can get that housing quick enough.

I should mention that its a good thing I'm replacing that housing because a piece on the block side was actually broken and it probably would have been leaking sometime soon.

I should also note that my back hurts from lifting that jeep. If it wasn't for those kind hearted mexicans I'd probably be in more pain and the jeep would probably be on its side right now:laugh:

Glenn: If you love Harry's so much, why don't you marry it? :laugh:

I love that place too...I guess that is why I will be there on Friday. Any one need anything?

I love that place too...I guess that is why I will be there on Friday. Any one need anything?

Yes, oil dipstick. I managed to snap off the plastic handle in the tube:nonono:

I'll be pulling the tube Saturday morning. Not like I'm in a rush since I won't get my new thermostat housing until Tuesday of next week.

Yes, oil dipstick. I managed to snap off the plastic handle in the tube:nonono:

I'll be pulling the tube Saturday morning. Not like I'm in a rush since I won't get my new thermostat housing until Tuesday of next week.

What vehicles can I get it off of? I know it has to be 98+ zetec for sure, not sure if Cougar/Contour/Mystique/Focus matter.

Can't you use needle nose pliers to grab the dipstick instead of removing the tube?

Usually when dipsticks break they break in the tube far enough that most needle nose will not fit in and removal is necessary. Now that people are too broke to pay a shop to rip them off, they try doing it themselves and I see them a lot in Advance Auto with broken dipsticks. Still have yet to see one that broke close enough to pull out.

Yeah, I realized it after I had gotten home on Tuesday. I really can't remember the exact location of the XJ that we took the hitch off of. I just know it was in this area:

yardshot.jpg

It was, from what I recall, a dark green/forest green colored Cherokee. It doesn't have tail lights, a rear window (wasn't me), or a rear bumper. I think it was between two vans.

Can you check to see if it has the transfer case skid plate? It was pretty close to the area I marked in neon green. I'm sure Alex can confirm this.

Yeah, I realized it after I had gotten home on Tuesday. I really can't remember the exact location of the XJ that we took the hitch off of. I just know it was in this area:

It was, from what I recall, a dark green/forest green colored Cherokee. It doesn't have tail lights, a rear window (wasn't me), or a rear bumper. I think it was between two vans.

Can you check to see if it has the transfer case skid plate? It was pretty close to the area I marked in neon green. I'm sure Alex can confirm this.

PM me your number, if I see something I'll text you a picture, or call if I have a question.

You mean you aren't going to hang a pair of wrinkly balls from your hitch?

Alex: Got you a dipstick. I found a nice set of Cougar headlights... I believe 99-00 - has high and low projectors. Come Tuesday they will be mine.:laugh:

Marc:

It just wasn't your day.... found 2 things you wanted. I found T-red sideskirts and factory mudflaps.... both were destroyed.

Back