• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

*sigh*

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
So I've been neglected the forum because the last two weeks (and two days for this week) of school have sucked terribly. And inbetween I've degreased the 1.5 quarst of oil that came out of the cavy off the body, and resealed the oil pan gasket...And built the air box on the Cavy's intake. And last weekend the trans kickdown solenoid pooped, so the Cav would stall out on braking...

That aside, the Contour is dieing for some love as most of it has been going to the Cavy. But this thanksgiving day weekend shall have the following fun...

-Cavy gets a new kickdown solenoid in the trans! This means it won't stall out when I come to a stop!

-Cavy will get brand new monroe gas-o-matic shocks in the rear! (nothing but quality @ 12.xx a peice)

-Cavy is getting a new trans filter put on because I might as well since the solenoid failed! (filter @ 11.98)

-Cavy gets new wheels! Hell yes! Classic early 90s American racing wheels from back in the day! These babies when for a 160k trip on a 89 Sunbird! :laugh: 4 Wheels, two good tires $60 bucks! (tires are 195/70 R14 BF Traction T/A's ) The downside a replacement pair of 195/65 R14's will be $160 for valve, mount, balance and tire disposal..)

-The Contour gets a new freaking headlight panel! Overnight parts from Texas!

-Both will get a freakin bath!

-I get dvd's on black friday

So case in point, why in the hell do I need a girlfriend? The cars are like having two, and at the end of the day I still only get a few $$$ spent on me! :laugh:

Pictures of work thus far (The panel delivery is apart as far as the contour gets):

Airbox from last weekend:
HPIM3780.jpg

Cavy back on the road:
HPIM3786.jpg

Holy freakin crap it made it to ESU!!!
HPIM3793.jpg

Overnight parts not from Texas:
HPIM3803.jpg

Old school Rims FTW!
HPIM3807.jpg

Side trans pan, beind lives the kickdown solenoid. This is POST cleaning...
HPIM3808.jpg

And for poop & giggles:
HPIM3809.jpg

All this to save the Contour the trip back and fourth from ESU. :laugh:

Left on the list:
Tranny pan & filter
Rear Shocks
Swap winter wheels onto Contour
Headlight panel on the Contour
Bath for Contour, Cavy, then me...
U-pull it sunday!

So whats everyone else up to this weekend?

I've only seen one Cavalier of that generation in my lifetime, and certainly have never heard of anyone giving that much attention to an 80s Chevy econobox. Props for being unique - and that is a clean engine bay!

More pictures, unfortunately I think I may have pulled something in my neck because I stopped for about 4 hours last night. I could tilt my head without getting pain. :shrug: So I took a break, and It didn't go away, but asprin helped that! :laugh:

As of this morning, from last nights work:
Tranny pan (filter change):
HPIM3810.jpg

I think the fluid may have been toast:
HPIM3811.jpg

The dange zone:
HPIM3813.jpg

Transfilter in:
HPIM3815.jpg

Solenoid replaced (its the little black/silver thing in the bottom right corner):
HPIM3817.jpg

Further back:
HPIM3818.jpg

So this morning's task it getting it back on the road! And probably slapping on the two new tires with the good tread!

Oh and btw Happy Thanksgiving!

Well the one pan has most of the original silver coating eroded away, and there was a spot of rust on the surface. Somehow it rusted under all that crap that was stuck to it. :laugh:

So I wanted to recoat it the damn thing since it was off for a few hours anyway.

And I didn't want to do black because how the hell can you see a leak on a black pan? :confused: So it was either that baby ford blue that everyone loves on the contour, or I go buy more paint. And if I was gonna buy paint, why the hell would I go for silver? :crazy: It came down to a Dark ford blue, chevy orange, or neon green. I choose far more apporiately then I should have! :laugh:

And since I did one pan, how could I resist not doing the other one! I can't wait for the garage I take it too gets a chance to see it again. They'll probably poop in their pants when they put it up on the lift!

Updated pictures:
Pans Reinstalled
HPIM3822.jpg

HPIM3825.jpg

"New" tires on:
HPIM3827.jpg

Compare Rear "old" tire to front "new" Tire
HPIM3829.jpg

HPIM3828.jpg

The new wheels and tires are hella wider on the car, not to mention that traction T/A gives alot less side wall flex. I'm impressed with the traction T/A. I'll probably have to spring to get an exact set for the rear.

Oh and after 10-15 minutes at idle, I drove around for ~3 miles. No leaks after sitting since 3pm. I had to leave @ 4 for thanksgiving dinner so I didn't get to drive it any further, but I'm pretty sure its safe to say there is no major leaks!

Now the car needs an extreme cleaning.

But now the contour needs to come into the garage for Thanksgiving projects round 2!

Last edited:
Damn, you've been busy. The Cav looks good with it's new paint job.

Back