• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ Caravan?

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Figured I put this out there...

So I'll be driving my Expedition down to SZ trailering my Tour. I'll have tons of space if someone wants to just come to the event and not bring a car. It would also be fun if we could get a few people together to drive down in a group.

I'd be starting off in MN obviously, but perhaps we could arrange to meet up with people along the way in WI? In any case I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.

I'm open to whatever too. I'm taking the 'no toll' route the best I can without adding too much time. But if you map out to SZ, where does it have you crossing through in WI? Madison? Portage? Wisconsin Dells? Milwaukee? Janesville?

Using Google maps and avoiding tolls it has me taking I-94 pretty much the entire way jumping off here and there and getting back on.

may want to look at 294 and 394 if you want to avoid the city. when youre around the city you dont have a whole lot of non toll options if you want to move fast

Just a FYI, all the major roads are tore up for road construction around/in the Milwaukee, WI area. Google is mapping me for toll avoidance through milwaukee, and it does the same for you Mike. It also adds another 40 minutes on the road for you Mike.

Mike, if you map regular with tolls it takes you just about 7hrs 10mins. If you map no-tolls from Coon Rapids, MN to Elgin, IL to Portage, IN it avoids Milwaukee and all the bad road construction but also makes the trip 8hrs 18mins.

For me Fox Lake, WI to Portage, IN no-tolls through Milwaukee is 3hrs 57min. With tolls 3hrs 31min. And avoiding Milwaukee and no-tolls takes me a really F'd up route and makes it about a 4hr 45min trip.

Thanks for the heads up. An extra hour of driving will probably equate to more money in gas then it would be if I took the toll route and paid the tolls... just my guess. Although I've never driven through the tolls with a trailer so not sure how much more that adds. Last time I remember the tolls were like $2.80 a pop. However it's about $90 to fill the tank of my Expedition too. Towing the car I'm sure I'll only get about 11-12mpg and I fill up after going through about 23gal..

Each toll will be more than 3x the amount with a dual axle trailer and all are over $2.50. My truck will be getting about 11mpgs so I understand being on the road longer vs paying extra at the tolls. There are 2-3 tolls going into illinois and another going into Indiana. Figure at least $30 in tolls just to get there and another $30 back. I still say avoid Milwaukee because it is on the news almost every day for road contruction related backups.

Hmmm, well I guess I'll just deal with the tolls and enjoy hanging out with everyone earlier ;)

There are some pretty expensive tolls on the way out there. When I drove out to RI late last year to pick up a car the toll fees were pretty staggering. I think we spent $200+ on tolls. We were able to avoid the major ones on the way back and save quite a bit. Does Google give you info on how much tolls cost? That would be handy tool.

Not sure if google tells you the toll price but there has to be a chart somewhere for that..... they actually have a trip calculator for IL tolls. Akward to use, but I got a total of $13.25 for IL tolls going through Milwaukee/Chicago and $18.60 for IL tolls going through Rockford.

Here is a chart for IL, with prices. Try the trip calculator, though it will be the same for you Mike as I already listed:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass/toll-information/rates-by-toll-plaza

Not sure how to read the Indiana toll road prices:
https://www.ezpassin.com/tollRatesRedirect.do

The prices will be for medium size truck because we will have 4 axles total.

I am 99% sure I am taking the "no toll" route but not sure if I will just go through Milwaukee to save a little time, but if the roads are backed up I will easily burn that "saved time" up idling in traffic :nonono:.

SO,
$13.25 through Milwaukee + Indana tolls
or
$18.60 through Rockford + Indiana tolls

Getting an iPass is a good way to save on tolls and not have to stop all the time. On the Illinois system, it's like getting the tolls 50% off.

My plan is to leave Wednesday and stay somewhere overnight so I can make it to the event earlier on Thursday without having to get up at the butt crack of dawn. Since I am in the South metro, I normally take 52 to Rochester and 90 across. When I hit the traffic evil otherwise known as Chicago, I go 290 to 294.

Getting an iPass is a good way to save on tolls and not have to stop all the time. On the Illinois system, it's like getting the tolls 50% off.

My plan is to leave Wednesday and stay somewhere overnight so I can make it to the event earlier on Thursday without having to get up at the butt crack of dawn. Since I am in the South metro, I normally take 52 to Rochester and 90 across. When I hit the traffic evil otherwise known as Chicago, I go 290 to 294.
You want to stop at Newts in Rochester and get me some burgers....then deliver them up this way for me?

Back