• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

anyone want to come to my shop next sunday?

aircougar

Veteran CEG'er
Some of you have seen the svt I have installed a turbo kit on.

Well it has been a constant nightmare for me, and eating every extra hour of time Ihave in the shop.

At this point I am dealing with boost leaks, so much so that the car isn't boosting and is running very rich as a result

I could really use a hand trying to nail down any leaks and get the car boosting again, so Ican figure out if I need to adjust any part of the tuning.

Also, my datalogging software is obscelete and doesn't help me out at all.

So if anyone has dataloggin software, or has some experience with boost leak testing and would like to hang out sunday afternoon from noon until 5pm, it would be a tremendous help.

we can order pizza and I will have beer and sodas in the fridge... my treat.
Kind of a mini meet :)

Text me if you have my number, or send me a pm here or on neco. Thanks, and hope to see you there!

That would be great.
I checked out the pcv valve earlier and it looks like its for a N/A ford, like a f250 or something. I need to find a svo mustang one or a lighting ... gotta be for a boosted car or I will have leaks thru there all the time.

that is correct. the pcv needs to be for a boosted car. The SVO one is like $10 from the dealer, or at least it was when I got one. Also the PCV path in from the intake into the engine and out the valve covers. Also it might not show up as a leak, but it will pressurize the crank case.

I should be able to make it up Sunday. Just not sure what is happening this weekend at the moment .... there was a death in Angela's family Monday morning and the funeral is Friday. Not sure what is happening over the weekend at this time.

Thanks again Brian for coming up to the shop Sunday! Really helped me get a good idea on how the car was really running.
Now just hoping the owner will be able to enjoy it for a while without blowing it up! Lol...

All the parameters are pretty much where they should be, and in a safe range.

Upstream O2 sensors may be reading too sensitive and causing the rich codes, one on each bank.

Pcm may learn that fuel curve eventually and the codes may stop, but that's a long shot. It needs to be dyno tuned to get the most out of the whole system as well

It stalls only when braking hard to a near complete stop after being in boost, but a lot of people are having a similar issue unless you blip the throttle slightly as rpms drop too low.

Its boosting fairly well, but power isn't where a 3L turbo would be, of course. The whole setup isn't optimal, but I basically had to make it work with what I. had to build with. Its as good as its gonna get. Sometimes it won't boost, but only seems to do it when the rpms are above 3k rpms while cruising and trying to accelerate hard... only gets 1 or 2 psi at that point.
I think vacuum battles boost pressure sometimes and it can either no boost or stall, as the wastegate or bov will be cracked open slightly.
This could be because the wastegate is sourcing a positive pressure source on intercooler, and bov is sourcing the intake manifold
The difference in readings can cause the 2 parts to not read together and car reacts accordingly.

I had tried sourcing both from the same uim location, but wastegate wasn't working properly for some reason.

Like I said, plenty of trial and error has got me to this point and I cant do anymore . It drives, it boosts most of the time, and isn't running lean or too rich for the setup. I am satisfied.

Its possible that the MAF is causing the rich codes... started doing some major research into those 2 codes. O2 sensors are the common fix, but.not.the correct diagnosis for these codes, just a result of the issue.

Basically if the MAF and / or Iat sensor aren't reading properly it'll throw these codes as the o2s are reading the wrong info based on what the MAF is telling the ecu it should read.
The barometric pressure reading , if its too low will make MAF send signals to ecu to dump in fuel causing rich conditions at the o2s.
Right now the MAF housing is upside down, and if its really dirty, the readings will be thrown way off.

Also if the iat sensor is reading cold for too long, the ecu will think it needs more fuel, also causing rich condition.

So Ihave a few more things to check out real quick.

This can also be why if I clear the codes and just let it idle for a while, the codes will trigger within 5 minutes.

Really hoping a cleaner maf will help at this point. Then I can try and adjust a few minor things in the tune.

If its still running rich at idle, and has that hesitation around 1500 rpms, then we are going to get it dyno tuned really soon.

Back