• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 93 RX7-LS1 Build Thread

turbo_fox

Veteran CEG'er
Figured I would start posting up my build thread. It is turning into a major project. I originally wanted to do a engine swap and a little freshening up, but now I am going a full strip/paint, restoration type build. I will use this thread to document the build. So, here is the starting pics. These are the pictures from the as-purchased condition. I bought the car as a roller. I found it down the Cape, it has 61k original miles, and spent most of its life as a florida car. The guy I bought it from had removed the engine, and basically was going to build an LS1 but changed his mind. Well, off to the first batch of photos.

Front_Left_1.jpg

Front_Right_1.jpg

Rear_Right_1.jpg

Right_1.jpg

Rear_1.jpg

Hatch.jpg

Interior_1.jpg

Dash_3.jpg

EngineComp_1.jpg

Ok, so the thread is a couple weeks behind. picked this up a few months ago:

engine1.jpg

engine3.jpg

It is from a 2004 GTO with about 52k on it. The car was hit on the side. I actually went to the garage I got it from, got a copy of the title, got to see the actual car it came from, as well as got a box of parts with it (ecu, MAF, throttle cable, engine covers, shifter boot and knob, etc)

Ok, continuing on, I didnt really want to start work until the last SVT was sold, and after kraig bought it in early January, the RX7 found its way to its new home (where it will be for a while!!)

DSC01993Large.jpg

DSC01995Large.jpg

DSC01994Large.jpg

I started out with the suspension removal. I plan on replacing and/or blasting and cleaning all the suspension parts. For now, stock suspension, but only temporarily.

Before:
DSC01996Large.jpg

DSC01997Large.jpg

After:
DSC01998Large.jpg

DSC02004Large.jpg

and, the parts:
DSC02003Large.jpg

DSC02005Large.jpg

The next thing was to remove the factory subframe, and test fit the new one. I decided to go with the mounting kit made by Justin Samberg, I can't say enough about how awesome his stuff is!!!

Before:
DSC02006Large.jpg

removed:
DSC02007Large.jpg

stock:
DSC02008Large.jpg

Samberg:
DSC02009Large.jpg

Installed:
DSC02010Large.jpg

Once I get everything test fitted, the subframe, tranny mount, and diff mount will all go out for powder coat. color TBD!

Continued teardown.
DSC02073_large.jpg

DSC02074_large.jpg

DSC02075_large.jpg

I also test fitted the Samberg rear diff mount. The stock RX7 uses a torque arm, Justin's eliminates it and ties the front of the diff to the chassis instead.

DSC02076_large.jpg

DSC02077_large.jpg

ok, with these pics, you are all up to date.

Interior removed again:
DSC02088Medium.jpg

DSC02089Medium.jpg

Engine compartment fully stripped. after test fitting the engine i will be scuffing and painting the compartment.

DSC02085Medium.jpg

DSC02086Medium.jpg

DSC02087Medium.jpg

I have been wondering how you were doing on this project. Am I going to be able to see it some time this summer at an Auto X?

nice dude.. looks like you've been keeping your self busy.

Im very jealous, one of the many on my list of cars to have before i die. I prefer the TT rotary, but have much respect for the LS1 swap.

Good luck with the build, cant wait to see it finished!

Sick Build! I was wondering what was weird about that FD. NO mirrors, took me a couple minutes. Im sure youll get that fixed up tho :laugh:

Cant wait to see the car. What color you painting??

- amyn

Sick Build! I was wondering what was weird about that FD. NO mirrors, took me a couple minutes. Im sure youll get that fixed up tho :laugh:

Cant wait to see the car. What color you painting??

- amyn

unfortunately the previous owner shaved them and welded the holes up. I dont like it. I just picked up a drivers door last week, and tomorrow i am picking up a passenger door. As for color, I havent decided yet. I am actually thinking about Tropic Green.

Like I havent bought enough from you already, now Id like to purchase the Supra. Is it a 93 or 94? clean title? rust?

There is a house a block away from me that they are doing 2 LS1 swaps into rx-7s at the same time. Should be awesome when its said and done...

In a few weeks I will have a 91 miata with a nissan240sx KA in it. Turbo.

Like I havent bought enough from you already, now Id like to purchase the Supra. Is it a 93 or 94? clean title? rust?

There is a house a block away from me that they are doing 2 LS1 swaps into rx-7s at the same time. Should be awesome when its said and done...

In a few weeks I will have a 91 miata with a nissan240sx KA in it. Turbo.

haha it isnt mine. Those pictures were taken from the guy i purchased the car from, not my house.

Back