Where to buy California legal cats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy California legal cats?

It appears as if one of my cats is clogged causing the back pressure to pop off one of the hoses to my DPFE. Where are you guys getting replacement cats from? Thanks!
    1998.5 Contour SVT E1 - Silver/Blue - 133K miles - Fatal stroke 8/3/2009
    Reborn 9/10/2009 - Thanks Mike!

It was indeed my main cat that was clogged. We gutted it and replaced the hose to the DPFE and my car runs like new once again. The hose cost me $1.40 at O'Reilly. Of course I am now illegal but I just passed smog and have some time to fix it before I'm due again.

Comment

as long as your precats are good you may very well still be with in the limits.
      2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods out of commission for now
      1999 SC3L Cougar with more mods
      2014 Ecoboost SE Fusion with floormats and mudflaps!
      '08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 sold to B3NN3TT 4/12/13

Comment

As long as you're passing Cali emissions without the main converter, I'd leave it alone. You may eventually get a cat efficiency code for the gutted main cat, and that will keep you from passing emissions if they see a MIL and stored code.

I've bought cat converters from Magnaflow, they have 49 state, Cali and New York units, universal and direct fit. The seem to be high quality units. California cats have a higher loading of catalytic metals than 49 state cats, which is part of their higher price, and according to a tech I spoke with at at Magnaflow, it's best not to use them on highly modified engines (aftermarket forced induction), as the extra load of catalytic metals and extra unburned fuel from F.I. will cause them to run too hot.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02converters.asp
        2019 Corvette Grand Sport, 1LT, just stupid-fast.
        1985 SVO Mustang (turbocharged track rat)
        1989 Taurus SHO (supercharged track rat)
        1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetter-Rapidus)
        2008 Mercury Milan Premier (Comfy boat)

Comment

Originally posted by gmorrell View Post
          You may eventually get a cat efficiency code for the gutted main cat, and that will keep you from passing emissions if they see a MIL and stored code.
          There's no cat monitor on that one; only on the two manifold cats. No MIL = no problem!
          2000 3.0 Roush Cougar
          2013 Focus ST
          2002 MINI Cooper S
          2008 Mustang Bullitt # 5389

Comment

Originally posted by B3NN3TT View Post
            There's no cat monitor on that one; only on the two manifold cats. No MIL = no problem!
            Yeah, what was I thinking? I know there's no O2 sensor after the final cat. Thanks.
            2019 Corvette Grand Sport, 1LT, just stupid-fast.
            1985 SVO Mustang (turbocharged track rat)
            1989 Taurus SHO (supercharged track rat)
            1999 SVT Contour (Sedanus-Grocerygetter-Rapidus)
            2008 Mercury Milan Premier (Comfy boat)

Comment

Great! Thanks everyone for all of your input. I've learned a LOT a lot about our exhaust system during all of this. I drove her on my normal commute this morning and she was as agile as ever. The idle is dead on and I should complete a drive cycle at any time now; no CEL so far. I was puzzled a bit because she just passed smog a couple of months ago. Good thing she passed smog before popping the hose! Whew! Did I get lucky? Now I know that it is the pre-cats that matter most and they are still working. For once I did not have to break the bank for the repair. And, I don't have to drive the Big old Chevy Tahoe anymore!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X