Smog Test and a Modified CSVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smog Test and a Modified CSVT

Hey guys, I'm out in LA right now and entertaining the idea of making the move. I'm curious though about how difficult it will be to get the car registered in CA and to pass the smog test. Looking to get some guidance from those who have been in similar situation.

The car is a port matched 3L in a 1999 body. The engine bay looks very stock. I am using an optimized throttle body, the stock accordion tube, a pudmonkie heat shield with a shorter K&N filter. All of the intake bits have been powder coated a low gloss black similar to the original paint on the UIM.

From an exhaust perspective I have MSDS headers and y pipe as well as a magnaflow exhaust. This is my biggest concern as I know there will be a visual inspection of the system. I'm using mil eliminators to clear the check engine light.

So what am I looking at here? Could this be as simple as putting on a stock air box and installing a catalytic converter after the y-pipe? Anyone with similar mods able to pass the smog test? All tips and suggestions welcome!

1999 Silver Frost SVT #259
    Mods: Port-Matched 3L, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS Headers, Torsen T-2 LSD, Fidanza Flywheel, Spec 3+ Clutch, 18" OZ Superleggras, Baer BBK, BAT Suspension, Mystique Tail

Here is a thread with engine bay pics.

Basically I could put the stock IMRC cover on and a swap in an SVT airbox and have it looking completely stock.

Mods: Port-Matched 3L, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSDS Headers, Torsen T-2 LSD, Fidanza Flywheel, Spec 3+ Clutch, 18" OZ Superleggras, Baer BBK, BAT Suspension, Mystique Tail

Comment

Yo. That's a bad state for a gearhead to move to. The inspection techs out there are actually trained to spot abnormalities, especially CEL Eliminators. It's a common "off road" part installed on cars. All u'd need to do is to find a tech that can "hook u up".
      Julian
      98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535
      Rally Inspired 3L turbo'd monsTOUR
      Modifications??? well...lets just say this ain'tcha grandma's contour :D

Comment

And yes, it's as easy as getting a cat converter and installing downstream sensors post cat. Voila.
        Julian
        98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

Comment

Ok. I passed smog. Here is what I did:

1. Put on mufflers to go from "racecar" noise level to "sports car"
          2. Installed stock intake
          3. Had a couple PCV hoses replaced that could impact visual
          4. Put stock 2.5L IMRC cover on (hah!)
          5. Confirmed I would pass the sniffer beforehand

So it basically came down to passing visual. I did ALOT of research on where to the take the car for the smog. Shady shops don't exist anymore, but finding one without a lift, limited staff and not connected to a mechanic was key.

Honestly I think I got lucky here. The guy saw the lack of cats on the headers and the non california cat downstream. He either didn't quite know what he was looking for or helped me out. Either way I passed, and once I get this sucker registered at the DMV I will be throwing a big chunk of money into making it look the part. More to come...

Comment

Lol @ #4;). Congrats. All that work only to pass smog. I love cali, but not that much. Enjoy.
            Julian
            98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

Comment

Originally posted by BAD SVT View Post
              Lol @ #4;). Congrats. All that work only to pass smog. I love cali, but not that much. Enjoy.
              Thanks Julian. Very happy right now. Time for body, paint and interior work then hopefully back to working on the nitrous setup. Always more to do.

Comment

Congrats!
                Might i ask where are you located in California?

Comment

Originally posted by SQuAlL-NT View Post
                  Congrats!
                  Might i ask where are you located in California?
                  West side of LA in Culver.

Comment

Originally posted by nasty1 View Post
                    Thanks Julian. Very happy right now. Time for body, paint and interior work then hopefully back to working on the nitrous setup. Always more to do.
                    Ha! It's never done if it's a car you love.
                    Julian
                    98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

Comment

West side of LA in Culver.
                      I am located at Hacienda Heights and work in Orange.
                      I wish we can start a car meet in California, but we dun have many CEGers in California now.
                      A couple guys moved out and some moved on

Comment

Originally posted by SQuAlL-NT View Post
                        I am located at Hacienda Heights and work in Orange.
                        I wish we can start a car meet in California, but we dun have many CEGers in California now.
                        A couple guys moved out and some moved on
                        I'm pretty sure he's used to that already. The city he moved from shared the same "malady":D
                        Julian
                        98.5 csvt #6226 of 6535

Comment

Shady shops don't exist anymore, ..
                          au contraire moonfraire. ive got one not too far from my home in the 818 that ive used a few times. i know of a couple of more around as well. just have to know the right people to ask. but it is getting harder and more expensive.

welcome to LA.
                          Originally posted by Rara
                          Steve is 100% correct.

00 svt contour 3L turbo: 07 GT500!: 02HDF150

Comment

Working...
                          X