• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Debating moving to Cali (How are the cops?)

I have never heard of a official quotas in most departments anymore, but what they call it now days is detail enforcement. like on Holidays, be on the extra lookout for DUI's. The way the game is play is like this, write tickets to keep the Sgt off your back or you better be making more arrest. As I said above every Officer has his own niche, but he has to show some type of paper work to justify his time out on patrol. Next to God, a cop has about the most power any one person can have doing their job (he can cost you your freedom, lose your job, take away your transportation, break up a family, cause you to lose money (Fines)). In the words of Mel Brooks from the movie History of the World pt1 "Its good to be the King".

I'm pretty sure Ohio has quotas. Or at least they use to.
Thats where I live now.

I have never heard of a official quotas in most departments anymore, but what they call it now days is detail enforcement. like on Holidays, be on the extra lookout for DUI's. The way the game is play is like this, write tickets to keep the Sgt off your back or you better be making more arrest. As I said above every Officer has his own niche, but he has to show some type of paper work to justify his time out on patrol. Next to God, a cop has about the most power any one person can have doing their job (he can cost you your freedom, lose your job, take away your transportation, break up a family, cause you to lose money (Fines)). In the words of Mel Brooks from the movie History of the World pt1 "Its good to be the King".

thats actualy useful information to know, thanks for the heads up.

I lived in California City for 2 years. Cheap to live, 2 hours or so to LA or San Bernadino, 45 miles to Wal-Mart in Palmdale and only a few mintes to work.

Granted, it was in the middle of the Mojave and it got very hot. And dusty. And lonely. And boring. And I wouldn't live there again.

I would move to Tehachapi though because they get snow there and it's just another 20 minutes up the road and they have a K-mart. :shocked:

Only hassled a few times about the CSVT for tint and blue side markers from a Mondeo ( city cop said I could be mistaken for an officer. How could a solid, dimly lit turn signal at knee high be a cop?) and the K&N intake on my truck raised an eyebrow at the DMV. Even though I had put the CARB sticker on it, she wasn't sure. But when she realised that my truck didn't have the AIR system I thought she was going to have me arrested. It was only after showing her the Colorado emmisions, tags and the fact that this truck wasn't shipped to Cali originally and a few deep breaths later did she say ok. I'm not joking, she really was about to do something crazy because it wasn't there.

Got pulled for the tint on the front windowsin Mojave. A few days later I got deployment orders, went to the judge early and when he asked if I had taken care of the problem I told him no and that I wasn't going to. The courtroom fell silent and he was shocked. When he asked why not I told I was getting deployed in 2 weeks and that the car was leaving the state for SC and never going to return to Cali and that I wasn't going to rip off the tint for that. It may have helped that I was in uniform then but he said "ok" and dropped the charges.

See, not a bad place to live. Unless you're west of the mountains. Or south of San Diego.

Above Simi Valley all the way to Oregon, Washington and Canada is beautiful. And if I ever moved back I'd have to move to around San Luis Obispo area.

Last edited:
Back