• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

do you think I could get this to pass?

DopePope

Veteran CEG'er
Hey guys, as you know I'm in the market for a car and this one popped up here on CEG. He let me know that the pre-cats are gutted and I think he listed on there that he has the offroad y-pipe.
click me

do you think this would pass emissions or would I have to put the stock cat back on? would I have to do anything else?

It should pass.... CA does suck when it comes to smogging cars.... I would say have him smog the car and read you the numbers and run them by your local smog shop...

you should put on the stock cat cuz otherwise the smog people wont test your car. it wont pass the visual inspection part of the test if they see a test pipe where the cat should be.

He has gutted pre-cats, not headers.

Assuming the main stock cat is still in place with the modified y-pipe, you should pass inspection no problem. I wouldn't worry about the y-pipe to much, it's the main cat that I would be concerned about if it's missing. Find out.

I can tell you, from personal experience, you WILL pass the sniffer so long as you have the main cat. I got through with MSDS headers, stock cat, and a Borla exhaust.

They are pretty lax with the visual, especially under the car. They wouldn't notice a modded y-pipe and gutted cats get through visual anyway. As stated above, just make sure the main cat is there and working properly and you should be good. Its not that much to change it if its no good anyway. Theres a few people that have put in hi flow cats and still pass.

awesome, thats really good to know. did you do test only so you could skip the visual?

I don't know about you, but I'm required to go to Test-Only. I think all SVTs are. And they still look, but the headers sit so far down in the engine bay, you almost can't see them at all.

As far as all SVT's needing to go to "test-only" stations that is incorrect. In CA there is no way of bypassing the visual inspection when testing for a certificate. They can run you car through a pretest in most situations which is just sampling the exhaust and looking at the numbers.

As far as all SVT's needing to go to "test-only" stations that is incorrect. In CA there is no way of bypassing the visual inspection when testing for a certificate. They can run you car through a pretest in most situations which is just sampling the exhaust and looking at the numbers.

Uuuuummmmm.... "Test-Only" stations still do a visual inspection. The "only" part means they can't do repairs on-site; if anything, these places are more thorough and stringent. Check when your renewal mailer comes; I'll bet it says "you must attend a test-only facility".

Uuuuummmmm.... "Test-Only" stations still do a visual inspection. The "only" part means they can't do repairs on-site; if anything, these places are more thorough and stringent. Check when your renewal mailer comes; I'll bet it says "you must attend a test-only facility".

I understand what a "test only" station is I used to do smog checks. You are correct a "test only" station cannot perform smog related repairs. And no my renewal has never said I must attend a "test only" facility.

My cars only get smog test, no visual. so yes, there is a way of bypassing the visual.:cool:

but I'm sure you wouldn't want to go that far.:laugh:

Not sure where you are but if your station is not doing visual inspections in CA they better watch their back. I know of at least 15 stations just in SoCal that have been fined and/or shut down in the past couple months for passing vehicles that fail any part of the smpg check.

from my unfortunate experiance, you only get sent to a test only, if the car has ever failed in the past. my last one didn't need a test only, but I am sure the next time it will since it failed the first time I tried it. I usually pass with no issues, with the 3L, headers, catback, and main cat. they don't really check visual to hard. I had a code that poped up for the EGR not responding when I went. Otherwise you shouldn't have any issues

A vehicle will get sent to a test only station when it reaches a certain age as well. My 86 Ranger never flunked an inspection but one year I found I couldn't take it where I always did before. :nonono:
Karl

Not sure where you are but if your station is not doing visual inspections in CA they better watch their back. I know of at least 15 stations just in SoCal that have been fined and/or shut down in the past couple months for passing vehicles that fail any part of the smpg check.

My car is plated in Ohio and I only require the smog test to get the milbase sticker for my car so I can bring my car onto beale. My car with all of it's mods is legal in ohio and cali cannot impose their gayness on my ride.

hence, "but I'm sure you wouldn't want to go that far."

aka join the military, change your home of record state and then get shipped back to cali.

your talking apples and oranges, The question was smog testing in Cali for vehicle registration for Cali, not Ohio and yes I was in the military and had a car that would not pass smog in cali and I had the vehicle registered in Ill, and was exempt from testing in either state due to my military status.

Back