• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ideal snow tire size for e1 wheels -- What's your opinion?

Kresnik

CEG'er
Heya! It's time to purchase some snow tires, and living in the U.P., so I'm committing myself to Blizzak WS70 as they'll do the best up here with iterations of lots o' ice then lots o' snow.

I'm using my E1 wheels for the winter, and I'm stuck between two sizes available for the WS70 -- 195/55R16 and 205/65R16. The former being a little more narrow (could I even opt for 185* on a stock E1 wheel?), while the later being taller.

What are your guys' experience / opinion between the two available sizes? Skinner AND taller is no doubt ideal, but I might have to make a compromise here -- as much of a compromise 10cm is. :)

Thanks,

FWIW, I put General Altimax Arctic's in 215/55-16 on my stock E1 wheels, and they work great on snow and ice here in Colorado. I know, they're a little wider, and the thought is go narrower, but they're also a little taller, which helps keep the underside out of the snow. Between my wife's front drive appliance and the Contour, I've worn out several sets of Blizzaks. I have Altimax Arctic's on both cars now for the winter, and I believe they are a better tire - they do just as well on snow and ice, and they're aren't all squirmy on dry pavement like the Blizzaks. YMMV.

We have enough dry pavement time here during winter that I appreciate a bit more tread on the road, tho I realize that's not the case in Michigan's U.P.

The 215/55's I run are ~25.3" diameter, and I have decent, maybe 1/2" clearance to the strut perches, the 205/65 you propose is 26.5" diameter, you may not be able to run this large of a tire.

You in Houghton?

FWIW, I put General Altimax Arctic's in 215/55-16 on my stock E1 wheels, and they work great on snow and ice here in Colorado. I know, they're a little wider, and the thought is go narrower, but they're also a little taller, which helps keep the underside out of the snow. Between my wife's front drive appliance and the Contour, I've worn out several sets of Blizzaks. I have Altimax Arctic's on both cars now for the winter, and I believe they are a better tire - they do just as well on snow and ice, and they're aren't all squirmy on dry pavement like the Blizzaks. YMMV.

We have enough dry pavement time here during winter that I appreciate a bit more tread on the road, tho I realize that's not the case in Michigan's U.P.

The 215/55's I run are ~25.3" diameter, and I have decent, maybe 1/2" clearance to the strut perches, the 205/65 you propose is 26.5" diameter, you may not be able to run this large of a tire.

You in Houghton?

I'm close to Houghton, I take it you're familiar with MTU? It's hard to know if we'll have another strangely warm winter or if it'll dump a few dozzen feet by the end of January. I was looking at tiretrack.com and 205/65 & 195/55 were the two lesser expensive options that I was presented with. They do have 205/55, but they are $125 a tire instead of $94 to $106. hmm.

205/55 and 215/50 are the stock size's for our wheels. The 205 will be cheaper because there are more of them. As far as snow tires I don't really have an opinion because we hardly get any snow here. I wouldn't go with the 205/65 because they will rub and the 195's will be too small and put your car closer to the ground giving you less clearance. I would stick with the 205/55's.

Nitto SN1 or SN2 tires... lower price and just as good of a tire. I ran 205's on my E0's and loved them. Running them now on the Mazda3 with 17's and they have performed well too. Keep in mind that's MN winter's too with a ton of snow and ice.

205/55/R16 here too, General Altimax Arctics, just got them on today for the first snow storm of the season, I live in a very hilly area with tons of turns and we got several inches that weren't even touched before I got on them 12 miles to work in a white out on all curvy backroads, performed very well, then on the way home it was all sleet, so slush, snow, and an icy covering to top it all of, still never slipped on a hill, definitely recommend them. Also, only paid $115 a tire mounted and balanced after tax, so pretty cheap.

Back