• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rim size question

SecaRob

CEG'er
My son has a 99 SE with the standard 15" aluminum wheels. I thought I would put a set of winter tires on it this year so I picked up a set of 14" steel wheels at the junkyard. I went 14" in hopes of getting a smaller contact area in the snow.

Does anyone know if these 14" wheels will fit ok? They were off of a standard LX model. I foolishly went ahead and had them painted without checking fitment first.

Thanks

I have never had a Contour with 14" wheels. However I believe the old issue with down sizing is with the SVT because of the front brakes. All other models have the same front brakes, minus the sport model Cougar which had SVT front brakes. So you should be good to go, just make sure to use the proper tire size to maintain the overall diameter of the setup.

Thanks BrApple that's good to hear. I have some research to do on the tire size, ws planning on going with 185/70-14 but will check.

Yep, it looks like the 185/70-14 will be my best bet. Going with the Michelin's X-Ice Xi2, they will only be on his car for about 2 months (1000 miles) tops

Thanks again for the response

Rob

Back